5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 7:45 AM by Ken380

Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2 hangs on Close Project

Ken380

I have a project that I was working on today that seems to have somehow become corrupted. Everytime I open it, and then attempt to Close Project, premiere will stop responding.

I've tried creating a new project, and when I import the sequence from the older project file, save, and and attempt to Close Project, premiere stops responding...

A couple of other projects seem fine. So somehow, this project must have become damaged or something.

How can I debug this issue so i can get the sequence back to keep working?

Thanks,

-ken

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2 hangs on Close Project
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Dig through your Auto-Saves first, and hopefully

you have been keeping incremental backups as well.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2 hangs on Close Project
            Ken380 Level 1

I was able to find an auto-save version that only lost me some of the work I had done, so thanks for the suggestion.

As I began redoing the lost work, I reproduced the problem. So I spent the last hour narrowing down what is causing it, and have found that an audio track that I am imported will reproduce the issue every time.

I can even start a new project, and import that single audio track, and cause premiere to hang. It's clearly a bug, but I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on.

The track was an MP3, so I brought it into audition and exported it as an AIFF file. But importing that file causes the same issue.

What's the best way to get Adobe to look at this. It's a simple problem to reproduce, and since it causes the app to hang, it probably should be fixed. I also tried to just remove that audio item from the latest project file, but that doesn't help. Once I import the track, any attempts to save the project will result in a hang.

Thanks in advance,

-ken

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2 hangs on Close Project
              joe bloe premiere Level 5

It's clearly a bug, but I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on.

I would say it is much more indicative of a bad audio file.

Try flipping your problem .mp3 to a .wav or .aif in Media Encoder.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2 hangs on Close Project
                Ken380 Level 1

And after a little further research, I was able to resolve the issue by loading the .MP3 into Adobe Media Encoder, and exporting it without metadata.

The source file was 32bit @ 44,100, and at first I just tried encoding to 16bit Stereo, but that also crashed Premiere. So I did it again, only this time I told it to not include any metadata in the output file. Voila! Premiere no longer crashing.

So, if anyone from Adobe sees this and wants to take a look at the MP3 that will crash Premiere, let me know. Otherwise, if anyone else encounters a problem like what I was having, maybe this hack will work for you...

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.2 hangs on Close Project
                  Ken380 Level 1

I tried all of that, none of it worked. There wasn't anything wrong with the audio file, apparently the metadata was the problem, since when I exported it without any meta data, the problem went away...