11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2006 7:23 AM by PepperKev

Direct to Stage

SlickZ Level 1
      Hi

I'm trying to play a windows media file in my Director project, but its always on top, and I cannot put a button on top of it, of course, to let the user choose to skip the intro movie. Well the movie is always on top because of direct to stage, but I dont see the option to turn it on or off in the property inspector window. I thought maybe they moved the option, but the help file says to click the sprite, and uncheck or check the DTS option in under the windows media tab in the property inspector, but I see no option for this. Any help
      would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chris
        • 1. Re: Direct to Stage
          Level 7
          How about using the video sprite itself as the button - place a mouseUp
          handler in a behavior attached to the sprite and navigate appropriately
          • 2. Direct to Stage
            SlickZ Level 1
            Hi Sean

Thank you for your reply. I did think of that, but the way this project is layed out, they want
            the entire video to cover the whole projector window, although that would work what you suggested, but i would have no way to let the user know to click the video to skip the intro. Although I suppose I could superimpose the word in the video itself. But then again, they want every link to have a rollover state. Thanks again for your reply.

Chris
            • 3. Re: Direct to Stage
              Level 7
              I don't think that this will work with Windows Media files, but if you
              can convert your digital video to Quicktime, you can do a few things

1) play not DTS
              2) Use a 1-bit mask to make bits of the QT sprite invisible (even
              playing DTS)

Using option 2 is the best since it will let you play the video with
              full performance and still allow you to use buttons with rollover states.

If that is not an option, you can use the video as a button (like Sean's
              advice), and check which part of the video the mouse is over and change
              the cursor at different times. It is not as good as having a rollover
              effect on the actual button, but it is better than nothing.

-Mike

SlickZ wrote:
              > Hi Sean
              >
              > Thank you for your reply. I did think of that, but the way this project is
              > layed out, they want the entire video to cover the whole projector window,
              > although that would work what you suggested, but i would have no way to let the
              > user know to click the video to skip the intro. Although I suppose I could
              > superimpose the word in the video itself. But then again, they want every link
              > to have a rollover state. Thanks again for your reply.
              >
              > Chris
              >
              • 4. Re: Direct to Stage
                SlickZ Level 1
                Hi Mike

Thank you for your reply. It looks like i'm going to have to make the video a clickable sprite. This project is going to be in both Windows Media, and Quicktime format. The user will have that option at the beginning of the projector to choose their format. They wanted it this way instead of just using Quicktime, and doing a check to see if the end user has Quicktime, and forcing them to install it if they don't. Thank you again for all of your help, I do appreciate it very much.

Chris
                • 5. Re: Direct to Stage
                  Level 7
                  If your video were MPEG1 you could use the MPEG Advance Xtra for
                  guaranteed installation-free video on both platforms.
                  Or Flash video (flv) encoded as On2 VP6 or Sorenson Spark played via the
                  Flash Asset xtra.
                  • 6. Direct to Stage
                    SlickZ Level 1
                    If I used .flv's instead, would the end user have to have Flash Player installed, or will the Xtras take care of that? The target audience for this project are going to be nurses, and much of them are older nurses. And we don't want them to have to have anything out of the ordinary to be able to view this. Most of them are probably still running Windows 95 we assume, and most probably aren't up to date with Flash players and what not.

I know that a projector is a self contained program within itself, but of course when you start adding movies, you have to make sure the end user will be able to view it, and we are assuming that the target audience is running on 10 year old computers, and we are assuming that just to make sure this project will run on everything.

Chris
                    • 7. Re: Direct to Stage
                      Level 7
                      If they're 10 year old computers you perhaps don't want to be asking
                      their CPUs to decompress flv files in real time
                      OTOH, MPEG1 should give good quality/filesize/performance and if you use
                      the xtra I suggested there should be no need to install anything on
                      either platform.
                      • 8. Re: Direct to Stage
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:02:26 GMT, SlickZ posted in
                        macromedia.director.basics:

> Most of them are probably still running Windows 95 we assume, and most
                        > probably aren't up to date with Flash players and what not.

I agree with Sean. In fact, if they're using such old machines there's just
                        as much chance that they won't have updated Windows Media Player enough to
                        play your WMVs. MPEG-1 has been the most reliable through the ages.

Additionally, you'll want to test it as much as possible on those old targets
                        - especially if you're using Dir MX2004.

Note that the System Requirements for Playback conspicuously omit Windows 95,
                        ME and NT.

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/productinfo/systemreqs/

--
                        Mark A. Boyd
                        Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                        • 9. Re: Direct to Stage
                          SlickZ Level 1
                          Thank you guys so much for your replies. You have helped me out tremendously. I think MPEG1 is going to be the way to go. One last thing, if I go with MPEG1, I won't need to make 2 different projects, one with .wmv's, and one with .mov's...am I correct in this assumption? .mp1 is its own extension, and will play in either Windows Media Player, or Quicktime, it just depends on what player is installed on the system, correct?

Thank again, everyone

Chris
                          • 10. Re: Direct to Stage
                            Level 7
                            Mpg-1 files would typically have the extension .mpg, and they can be
                            played through almost any media player out there, including Quicktime.
                            The ideal thing to do would be to get the MpegAdvance xtra which can
                            play the movie on any platform and does not require any sort of
                            installation. Thus, it won't matter if the person has Quicktime or not
                            installed- it will always work. It will play embedded in your Director
                            project, so you don't need to have a separate QT or Media Player window
                            open.
                            • 11. Re: Direct to Stage
                              PepperKev Level 1
                              I know it's way too late for that project, but in case people read this in the future.
                              One thing I have done is use a titling tool or a compositor like After Effects to embed the image of a button directly into the video, then create a clickable area in Director after the fact.

Although now I have Flash 8 I'm generally migrating projects that require clickable videos to Flash. (But for my mental well-being, I'll keep using director)