5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 9:26 AM by Harm Millaard

Asus or Gigabyte video card

Wilderness08

1.   I am upgrading to GeForce GTX 660Ti for my Premier Pro CS5 projects. Is the Asus better than the Gigabyte (as my computer reseller says it is)?

2.   Does it matter if the video card has 2GB GDDR5 (Asus) or 3GB GDDR5 (Gigabyte)?

3.   I will also be upgrading from 6 GB of RAM to 24 GB. Would it also make sense to upgrade my CPU which is at i7 2.6 GHz 2nd generation(2 yrs old). My computer reseller said it would cost about $300 to get something that would make a noticable difference (i7 3.6 GHz 3rd gen.), so stay where I am with the CPU.

Thanks for the help with these 3 questions.

• 1. Re: Asus or Gigabyte video card
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Equally good. Look for the card with the best price and warranty.

2. If you intend to edit very high resolution DSLR material or EPIC 5K material, 3 GB is better.

3. Makes sense.

• 2. Re: Asus or Gigabyte video card
            JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding #3, what exact motherboard and cpu do you have currently?

• 3. Re: Asus or Gigabyte video card
              Harm Millaard Level 7

2-nd gen.  i7 is a Sandy Bridge (Ivy Bridge is 3-rd gen.), so presumably it is an i7-2600, but that one has a 2.8 GHz stock speed. Anyway, it sure looks like an 1155 platform, so the only affordable option would be to use an i7-3770K, even though the difference is pretty small in performance and not worth the price IMO. The only sensible upgrade would be to a X79 platform, but that is pretty costly.

The conflicting information is the clock speed and the memory plans, because using 6 GB memory and upgrading to 24 only makes sense on the 1366 platform and that is 1-st gen. i7.

• 4. Re: Asus or Gigabyte video card
                Wilderness08 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. I would like to make sure I'm understanding correctly based on this and the answers to my prior post. It has been recommended that I bump the RAM to at least 24GB, but it looks like you indicated that it "only makes sense on the... 1st gen. i7." Since my current CPU is 2nd gen., and I was considering moving up to 3rd, will the RAM upgrade not make sense? If so, what should I do to make sure that I have a good experience with Premiere Pro CS5? Thanks again for the assistance!

• 5. Re: Asus or Gigabyte video card
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Generally speaking it is like this:

• First gen i7, like i7- 9xx runs on a 1366 platform and uses either 12 or 24 GB on the 6 DIMM slots.
                  • 2-nd gen i7, like i7-2600 runs on a 1155 plaform and uses either 16 or 32 GB on the 4 DIMM Slots.
                  • 3-rd gen i7- like i7-3770 runs on the same platform and uses either 16 or 32 GB on the 4 DIMM slots.
                  • Sandy Bridge E, like the i7-39xx runs on the 2011 platform and uses either 32 or 64 GB on the 8 DIMM slots.

1155 is dual channel memory, so use either 2 or 4 slots, 1366 is triple channel memory so use either 3 or 6 slots, 2011 is quad channel memory, so use either 4 or 8 slots.