19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2015 5:50 AM by rosebudd

Adobe Edge Animate File Export

AdobeFlashUserTX

Can Edge Animate export just one file to upload for advertising purposes? Similar to Flash and the .swf file? I would really like to make the switch but the only issue I had when I tried out the preview awhile back was it exported too many files and it was too much to upload.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
          Dam4222 Level 1

Hey,

So to answer your question, Adobe Edge Animate kicks out a .html and associated JS files and images. If you are creating an advertistment that you would like to be say HTML5 compatible (flash is still around but is dying a slow death on the advertising front) you could likely deliver those files to a rich media ad server.

I hope that helps.

Adam

• 2. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
            eske925 Level 1

Hi Adam, do you know where i can find any information on just how to deliver the files correctly. We also work with .swf files with click tags and i can't figure out ho wto serve the edge animations in the same way via google ad server.

• 3. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
              Dam4222 Level 1

Hi Eske925,

I am working on a more fully baked answer for you and have some questions out to some companies that specialize in this but here is what I understand so far:

In order to publish an ad on an ad network like Google AdSense or Doubleclick or Yahoo! Right Media, you first need to have your ad hosted somewhere. These are places like MediaMind, Doubleclicks DART, I believe Atlas does this as well. Once they have hosted it and placed all the appropriate tagging info into their system, they will provide you with a "Tag". This tag can be brought to publishers like the ones metioned above. (I know, I know this seems incredibly tedious, costly and unnecssary).

Now, I am still awaiting clarfication about all of this but I think what you need to do is create your file in edge. Then bundle up the entire project into a .ZIP minus the .An file (not necessary to include). You would send that to the team at a place like MediaMind or DART and they would host it for you.

In order to have them host it, you need to probably call one of their Sales reps (also impossible to get a hold of, I called their PR office and had them connect me).

I am expecting a call from their creative team to get more answers tomorrow. I will update as I learn more.

It seems like all of this should be WAY easier. Perhaps Adobe can shed some light on this... Sara Hunt I am calling you out

Adam

• 4. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                TimJaramillo Level 4

Hey guys,

The below link has some useful info on html5 ads for the Google/Double Click ad network. Check out the video under the HTML5 Studio Training Video, there's some good info at 7 minutes in:

http://support.google.com/richmedia/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1344727

In the video, they show an example where 1 external css and 1 external js file are loaded, but Edge's load protocol is a bit more complicated (27 minutes in the Training Video).

For every file loaded in a DoubleClick ad, you need to prepend: Enabler.getFileName, which allows the ad network to change the location of the files loaded. You could potentially prepend this to all files loaded by Edge (all files loaded in "yourFile_edgePreload.js", the im='images/' var in "yourFile_edge.js", and the call to "yourFile_edgePreload.js" in the containing html file.

You might also want to post your question on the DoubleClick Creatives forum:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/dfp/creatives

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                  Dam4222 Level 1

Hey Tim,

This is a great start. I think that this question is critical to the success of Adobe Edge Animate. Hopefully more will be posted on how to do this exaclty. Perhaps someone will post an upcoming tutorial because it seems a bit more involved than I previously thought.

I will post an update when I get an answer about how communication works between the Ad Server and the Publishers.

Adam

• 6. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                    Dam4222 Level 1

UPDATE:

So I spoke with the folks over at MediaMind. They are actually pretty familiar with Edge although they dont "officialy" support it, they will work with you.

They have pointed me towards there site which apparently has a help section. However, you need a login to get there... (I requested one and will get one shortly).

Essentailly, they explained that you need to add in a few lines of code into your .html that they provide. Once that is complete, you zip up your file and send it to them. They send you a TAG back that you can use at various publishers. They charge you based on a CPM of impressions served. Costs vary.

In terms of learning how to host and traffic these on your own and not use a group like MediaMind, that is still TBD. Will continue to look into this.

Adam

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                      ESKdesign

Thanks everyone, very helpful. We work with Double Click, so I will try them for more info. I'll post the results shortly.

• 8. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                        hamishc32242410

Adobe Edge Animate does not appear to be mentioned in the video link posted by Timjaramilo previously:

"The below link has some useful info on html5 ads for the Google/Double Click ad network. Check out the video under the HTML5 Studio Training Video, there's some good info at 7 minutes in:

http://support.google.com/richmedia/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1344727

"

• 9. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                          TimJaramillo Level 4

hamishc32242410: correct, Edge Animate is not mentioned in that video, and I didn't say it was . My point was that the video shows how to load external files, so it could possibly be leveraged to load external Edge Animate-related files. See this line in my post: In the video, they show an example where 1 external css and 1 external js file are loaded, but Edge's load protocol is a bit more complicated (27 minutes in the Training Video).

Note that there have been some updates in the 2 years since my last post in this thread. Double Click now officially supports Edge Animate. See these links:

Rich Media Campaign Management – Advertisers/Agencies – DoubleClick

Rich Media Campaign Management – Advertisers/Agencies – DoubleClick

• 10. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                            Go Devils

can I export the images created from my animation into many still images? not the ones I place on stage but the entire animation. i would use this to quickly create image files to display on LCD displays with a MCU board [and have appearance of motion on display]

• 11. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                              TimJaramillo Level 4

Go Devils : This thread is actually focused on banner ads, though the thread title is a bit misleading.

Edge Animate does not have the built-in functionality to export an image sequence from your animation. Edge Animate is a web tool, not a general purpose animation tool. As a hacky workaround, you could do a video screen-capture of your EA animation in a browser, then import that video into After Effects (or Flash), then export a png sequence.

The above is pretty silly though, especially since our old friend Flash has this capability built in. Check out the "Export PNG sequence" movieclip option in the library panel in Flash Pro CC.

• 12. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                mwolda333 Level 1

That's really too bad. I love Edge Animate, but I get requests for mov files to fit ad specs, and it seems there should be a feature to export an animation as a mov or other video formats.

• 13. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                  AdamJacques

Double click now supports Edge animate, they have a build guide that details how to insert the enabler code, or even work from provided Edge templates.

Edge Floating build guide - DoubleClick Rich Media Help

• 14. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                    Musix4me Level 1

I noticed that this question from 2 years ago is still not answered.  Interestingly enough, I have the same exact question...well...almost.  I have a web site on Wix,com and they do not allow generic FTP to upload files so I cannot properly place the html javascript files produced by Edge.  They have a built-in HTML app that allows you to point to an external page or insert HTML into a page to include iframes.

I guess, since it appears Adobe is not going to create a function to have the javascript within the HTML page, I am stuck trying to place the page "somewhere"
                                    and then point to it from within my site.  Okay...where can I place these files so that I can retrieve the full address?  In Google Drive, they have some "special" way of organizing and retreiving your files so I cannot find a literal address to it (i.e. https://my.googledrive.com/.../.../myfile.html)  If I could so this, I could host the files somewhere else and pull them in via their widget.

Are there any free FTP hosts (1 gig or less) that will allow me to retrieve the full address of the files I upload?  Any way to have Edge export to a single HTML file and images folder?

• 15. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                      rosebudd Level 3

If your Edge Animate banner IS NOT Rich Media, you can simply zip the contents of your publish folder, and the AdOps person just uploads it to DCM.

If your ad IS Rich Media, you zip your assets once and drag drop into Studio. Rich Media requires Studio access and QA/trafficking of a third party tag.

The click through syntax for the different situations IS different.

Directions for the non Rich Media Edge Animate build. You don't need enabler.js. Enabler.js is for Studio Rich media ads.

What is the proper way to add ClickTAG to an Edge Banner?

• 16. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                        gpumple

I work for a small ad hosting company. We have no problem dealing with OTHER rich media. Many of our customers are trying to use this as a replacement for Flash. The problem is we can allow them to paste html code and then have as many as 5 accompanying media files. So that is one for the .js file. Now they have four slots for creatives. But adobe edge animate often creates 5-20 image files. I have one customer right now that has 14 image files that are each a single word, you can't create a sprite file to do this adobe? anyway I would love an answer to this question.

• 17. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

yes you can create a sprite with either PS or Flash but what if you have an image gallery? You would have to have many images.

• 18. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                            pwacher808

The problem with using Doubleclick Studio, for the companies that actually have access to it, is that it costs alot more to serve the creative. Especially when the creative may be a simple/standard banner ad.

• 19. Re: Adobe Edge Animate File Export
                                              rosebudd Level 3

If your ads are not Rich Media you simply don't use enabler.js and AdOps uploads the zip file to DCM instead of Studio.

All DCM accounts were upgraded to Enhanced Banners at no extra charge.

This goes in the head of your published HTML file

<script type="text/javascript">

var clickTag = "https://www.google.com";

</script>

and this is your Edge buutton syntax

window.open(clickTag, "_blank");