1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 10:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Capture VHS without firewire

Gary4554150

I have a bunch of VHS home movies, which I wish to digitize. In looking for information about how to do this, most of what I have found requires a computer with a firewire port.

Is there a way to do this with a Windows computer using USB 2 or 3? Purchase of a not too expensive intermediate device would be acceptable.

Thanks,

Gary

Preniere Elements 11

Windows 7, 64 bit

• 1. Re: Capture VHS without firewire
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Few people, who have used various USB products, like the Dazzle line, have had luck with Capture in PrE, or PrPro.

However, many such devices do come with their own Capture software (Pinnacle Studio was once bundled with Dazzle units, but many still had major issues), plus there are other software options, that might/might not work with the product that you choose.

I have seen good results with the Turtle Beach Capture cards, and its software. A constant/static OOS (Out Of Sync) of about 12 Frames (easily corrected, but is another step) has been the only complaint.

Now, if you have a desktop PC, adding a FireWire card is cheap, starting at about US$ 10, and working up to a few with multiple controller chips, running about US$ 50. With a laptop, one would need either an ExpressCard, or PCMCIA slot, and the appropriate controller card.

Good luck, and maybe others have some recs. on USB devices, that DID work for them.

Hunt