9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 3:21 PM by joe bloe premiere

Sig Line Available?

Lone Lobo

In this forum, is it possible to add a sig line to my profile so that I can describe my software and hardware setup and it is automatically seen in all my posts?

• 1. Re: Sig Line Available?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

No, I wish we could. You would have to copy/paste it if you want to do that.

• 2. Re: Sig Line Available?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. If you go to your Profile, that info can be added. The only restrictions are URL's to commercial Web sites, profanity or a very few other text.

In some forums, users are encouraged to fill in their equipmen in their profiles, but there are some drawbacks to that - such as several different computers, changed equipment, etc.. The subject has been discussed here, and the general feeling is that adding that info in the body text is preferred. Still, it is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Sig Line Available?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

Are you certain? Many users have info in their sigs. Now, there is probably a limitation on the amount of text, but I feel that it can be done. Will check Profile allowances now.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Sig Line Available?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

I stand corrected. The "Brief Bio" only shows up, if one clicks the Profile to a post, and not in the body text.

I was mistaken, but will research what others have done to basically get a sig in each of their posts. Will report back, with either a method, or more egg on my face.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Sig Line Available?
                  Lone Lobo Level 1

If I use email to communicate with the forum and I have a sig on my email, wouldn't it show up that way?

• 6. Re: Sig Line Available?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Some cell phones, and also e-mail clients DO add sigs, but not sure how easily those could be edited.

I have sent PM's to a few forum subscribers, who do have sigs appear in their posts (not just in the Profile, as my tests revealed), and I will report on their methods. I do not think that you just a Paste operation from a boilerplate file, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Hunt

• 7. Re: Sig Line Available?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

is it possible to add a sig line

Thank God, no!  Signatures only clutter up the place, making the forum even less reader friendly.

• 8. Re: Sig Line Available?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

If I use email to communicate with the forum and I have a sig on my email, wouldn't it show up that way?

Annoying yes, so please don't.  Always log in via your browser for posting.

• 9. Re: Sig Line Available?
                          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Thank God, no!  Signatures only clutter up the place, making the forum even less reader friendly.

Gonna have to agree with this.

If a post does not contain system information that might

be relevant to the issue at hand, it is routinely requested.

I feel user signatures with names, system info, software,

company name, etc. do not add any value to a posting.

It would add potentially self-indulgent ever-repeating clutter,

along with a new level of responsibility for the moderators.

If anyone is interested in more information about another user,

they only need to click on the user's name (while logged in) and

be directed to their profile, which allows more than enough

text space for providing software / system info.