5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 8:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Making a mono track sound like stereo?

media kat Level 1

I have a mono track that I would like to sound like stereo. Besides simply copying the audio track and placing it on another audio later, what else can I do to acheive this effect?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Making a mono track sound like stereo?
          Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you have elements with identifiable and different frequencies (such as a person speaking with birds tweeting the background) then you can duplicate the mono channel and apply mirror-image graphic equalizers so each target frequency is cut on one side and retained in the other - but anything beyond such a trivial example and it becomes impracticable.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Making a mono track sound like stereo?
            media kat Level 1

What do you mean by "mirror-image graphic equalizers so each target frequency is cut on one side and retained in the other"?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Making a mono track sound like stereo?
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Leave the mono track as it is and add stereo atmos and effects tracks or even stereo music. That is how film and tv people do it.

• 4. Re: Making a mono track sound like stereo?
                Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For example if you have an isolated high-frequency sound (such as a bird tweeting) against a lower-frequency background noise and want it to appear more in the left side of the field:

• place copies of your mono file into audio track and 2
                • Use the Pan control on the effects window, set one track to +100 and the other to -100, creating left and right channels.
                • Apply an EQ effect to both copies, find the frequency range corresponding to the tweety sound, reduce that range in the right side and raise it in the left side by a matching amount. The goal is to have a pair of equalizer curves that are mirror-images of one another in terms of gain.

As I said it only works on trivial examples as anything with a wide frequency spectrum (street noise, singing, etc.) will sound strange, and you need to watch for clipping.

• 5. Re: Making a mono track sound like stereo?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you describe your Audio Stream? Is it music, dialog from say two slightly different locations, but into a mono mic, etc.?

It might be that Dual-Mono (accomplished with Fill Left/Fill Right) will be good enough, however knowing what you are working with, might place it into the domain that Dave is talking about.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful