10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 3:34 PM by John T Smith

Capture Program for Premier Pro

John Ratard Level 1

I have CS5 Production Premium and two PCs.  I would like to use the 6-core for editing while using the 4-core for editing support, e.g. capture, while I am editing.  Unfortunately,  I am informed that I cannot use one licence for CS5 upgrade from CS4 on 2 computers at the same time, even if I also retained C4.  So to capture while editing, I need a separate capture program.

What capture program is compatible with Premier Pro CS5?

• 1. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the source, that you wish to Capture from?

Also, your situation might be one where a Creative Cloud subscription would be worth it. I would also explore that option, as well, say one CC lic. for the CS, and another just for PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If by capture you mean via Firewire from a tape camera (some people do use the wrong term) then read below

I have NOT used either, but many say to try these for SD capture http://windv.mourek.cz/ or http://www.exsate.com/products/dvcapture/

I have NOT used it, but many say to try this for HDV capture http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

• 3. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
              John Ratard Level 1

Thank you.  I should have clarified my capture situation.  I do capture via Firewire from a mini DV tape camera so Exsate is possible.  It is more than I need if I simply want to capture in a compatible format and import into Premier Pro CS5 to be able to use all the associated tools in CS5.  I am replacing an older Windows XP PC that took hours to render to DVD.  The more recent 4-core PC shortened the time up to 30 minutes.  During this time, I have accumulated a backlog of DV tapes that I hope to render to DVD in tens of minutes with the 6-core.

• 4. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                Alan Craven Level 4

Scenalyzer was always highly regarded for mini-DV capture.  Whilst development has stopped, it is still available from

http://scenalyzer.com/

and it is now free!

• 5. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                  John Ratard Level 1

Thank you.  I have not progressed to the Cloud alternatives yet for my applications.  Other alternatives such as being offered by Microsoft for a Windows licence to lease on a yearly payment basis are interesting.  It appears that all updates and new releases might be available such that a large single financial output is avoided.  With this type of software licence, if it is no longer needed, its use can be terminated in the short term at lower cost.  I would jump at this opportunity with Adobe since I could use such a short term lease  for a stand alone Premier Pro CS5.  I could use its capture function for a year, perhaps find other functions of a second Premier Pro is useful, then decide how to continue in the future.  This type of marketing would include customers who find the initial cost of software such as Creative Studios and others out of their reach.  Perhaps unknown to me the Creative Cloud subscription is already doing this.

• 6. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                    John Ratard Level 1

Thank you.  If Scenalyzer provides a video file that is compatible with Premier Pro import, then that is what I need.

• 7. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                      SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi John,

Who told you that you couldn't install on two machines, and have you tried it? My understanding has always been that Adobe does allow installation on two machines with one license. Technically, I believe the intent is one desktop and one laptop, for office and mobile use and not at the same time. But if you are still only editing on one at a time (not two editors using simultaneously) it should be fine. It really should not matter at all if your Premiere was an upgrade or new purchase, a license is a license and the EULA should be the same.

Maybe Kevin from Adobe can chime in here?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

• 8. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                        Alan Craven Level 4

My understanding is that you can have Premiere installed on two machines, but you cannot use both at the same time.  It was recently stated by an Adobe employee on this forum that where upgrade versions have been purchased, this limit of two installations at one time applied across the range of versions that you have purchased.

• 9. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                          John Ratard Level 1

Pehaps I did not word my post clearly.  I wrote "use" and not "install" on 2 computers at the same time.  I will be installing on the second computer shortly.  I also hope that the automatic downloads of the 64 bit versions, not available on the discs, are still available.   My intent in writing "upgrade" was because when I posted to clarify how I could use both computers at the same time, there was confusion.  This resulted from having both CS4 and C5 on one computer.  A reply was that CS4 could be used on one, and CS5 could be used on another.  However, this can only be done if they were bought as separate licences and not CS5 upgraded from CS4.

• 10. Re: Capture Program for Premier Pro
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>automatic downloads of the 64 bit versions, not available on the discs,

If you are talking about things like templates and menus and such... these discuss those files... I think only for CS6

There are TWO links for missing Content... PPro & Encore basic and Encore extra

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/library-functional-content-missing.html

Encore additional http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/using/download-library-content.html