1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 7:06 PM by Rick Gerard

Keyframe Animation Pause/Rest

perfectblue Level 1

In the image below I have a simple animation of a box moving through 4 key frames. How would I make the box pause or rest at one of the key frames for a certain amount of time completely stationary until moving again?

For instance in the image below, perhaps I want the box to pause for 3 seconds completely stationary at keyframe 2 before going through the rest of the animation path. After some tuotirals I stumbled upon I tried hold keyframe, but that made the box "jump" from one keyframe to another suddenly.

Thanks

pausekeyframe.jpg

• 1. Re: Keyframe Animation Pause/Rest
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Think about your question for a moment. There's nothing that says you can't have two keyframes with the same value. Just set multiple keyframes with the same value.

Set position 1 then position 2 then copy position 2 keyframe and move down the time line and paste or click the insert keyframe button in the timeline. You can also use a hold keyframe to prevent bounce when the box stops. Search the AE help files please for a more detailed explanation of how to use and edit keyframes.

For this kind of animation it may be best to set spatial interpolation to linear in the preferences.

This is really basic stuff applicable to all apps that use keyframes.