5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 7:53 AM by MADink_Designs27

Hyperlinks greyed out

Ethan8 Level 1

Hi there, I am trying to create hyperlinks in an Indesign TOC. However the Hyperlink option is greyed out in the options menu. I looked at other discussions and the advice when this happened was always to trash or change the preferences. I looked at that document but the files it mentions to trash are not on my system. I am using a new MAC and version CS5 of Indesign.

• 1. Re: Hyperlinks greyed out
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this method of restoring your preferences. It doesn't require you to search and delete files:

• 2. Re: Hyperlinks greyed out
            Ethan8 Level 1

Thanks for replying so quickly Steve. I did try that multiple times and just tried again and it doesn't work for me. I have all my fingers on the buttons ready and I tried holding them down for a long time, quickly and over and over as soon as the program quit. Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: Hyperlinks greyed out
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The down side of the keyboard method is that if you have a fast computer, it's hard to press the keys fast enough. It's not the repetition, it's getting in the keystrokes fast enough.

If you can't find the files on a Macintosh, it's probably because in Lion and Mountain Lion, your Home > Library file is by default hidden. In the Finder, if you hold down the Option key when you choose the Go menu, you should be able to see Library as a choice. Then you can probably find the files that Peter Spier refers to in this documentation:

FAQ: Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

• 4. Re: Hyperlinks greyed out
                Ethan8 Level 1

Thanks Steve. That worked. I managed to delete the file. The only problem is that it didn't solve the original problems so I guess it was not the reason for my trouble. I still cannot create any hyperlinks in the TOC and that is the main place I need to put them in order to create the interactive pdf.

• 5. Re: Hyperlinks greyed out
                  MADink_Designs27 Level 1

Ethan, I know this was a couple years ago, but did you come up with a solution?

Did you use InDesign's TOC generator?

I too am having this issue. I created the TOC using InDesign's TOC generator which automatically adds hyperlinks. Then I take the generated TOC and remove unneeded text and reformat when necessary.

My theory is the entire frame is linked. If you look at the text in story editor, it will be bracketed by a links icon. I think that may be the culprit but no idea on the solution at this point.