5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 8:09 AM by Harm Millaard

Advice on custom build for a friend on a budget

Mereo110

A friend wants me to build him a computer for video production. He's already proficient with Director but wants to start using Adobe Premiere. He has a budget of $2000 CAD and this is what I came up with.

• Intel Core i7-3770k
      • Asus P8Z277-V LK
      • Corsair Carbide 400R Case
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB
      • Zotac Nvidia AMP! Geforce GTX 680 2GB
      • E-MU 0204 USB 2.0 Soound Card
      • WD Black 3TB
      • ADATA SX900 128GB
      • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler
      • Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M

What do you guys think about this list?

• 1. Re: Advice on custom build for a friend on a budget
          RjL190365 Level 4

Two major problems in that build:

1) Not enough disks. There is an SSD for the OS and programs and a single hard drive for everything else. You need multiple hard drives in addition to the OS drive.

2) As for the SSD, it is a Sandforce-based model that suffers more rapid and more seriously degraded performance than other, non-Sandforce-based SSDs.

A few notes about your choice of a motherboard:

1) It has only six total SATA ports (two SATA 6.0 Gbps and four SATA 3.0 Gbps). This limits how many disks you can use with that mobo: Assuming thay you're using an internal SATA optical drive and the OS disk, you can only install four hard drives maximum to the mobo's connectors.

2) Its VRMs are not as robust as those on other, higher-priced Asus motherboards. This limits the CPU overclocking potential.

• 2. Re: Advice on custom build for a friend on a budget
            Mereo110 Level 1

1) What I thought was that he could begin with 3TB and then add hard drives when he has the chance. But I agree that he needs at least 2 hard drives, one for scratch, the other for production. But I have to decide if 2x3TB or 2x2TB would be enough if I to get more drives... according to the budget.

2) Thanks, I will search for another SSD drive, I've just read that the ADATA still has the old 5.0.2a firmware which doesn't include the TRIM function

Motherboard:

1) and 2) This the problem, with $2000, I can only do so much. Perhaps I will recommend him to pay a bit more because according to my research I've done, this computer needs to include a good video card, CPU and RAM. Perhaps I can try to find a motherboard that offers more SATA ports. And about overclocking, I don't think he'll overclock because he's not a geek. All he wants is a stable computer.

But I have two dillema: It's either he starts with this system with only one hard drive or pay a bit more and get two hard drives.

• 3. Re: Advice on custom build for a friend on a budget
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I agree with Randall about the disks, but there is a very obvious alternative to your choices up to now and still remain within budget:

Exchange the GTX 680 for a GTX 660 or 660 Ti. That saves a significant amount of money that can be used for additional disks. The 680 is overkill with the intended CPU and a 660 will do equally well. Additionally I would lose the USB sound card and use on-board sound. Look at Where to spend $$$ and notice the 680 is way too costly for a 'balanced' system.

• 4. Re: Advice on custom build for a friend on a budget
                Mereo110 Level 1

Is the GTX 660 officially compatible with Adobe Premiere? Because my friend is not proficient in technical aspects so I don't want him to change the config settings each time he updates Adobe Premiere. I chose the GTX 680 because that's the card I saw in the 6.0.3 update change log.

Which sound card do you recommend? Because he'll also be producing some music using software such as FL Studio and according the research I've done, usb sound cards are less prone to interference.

According to my research, some systems I saw had 3 Hard drives:
                - D: Scratch
                - E: Production
                - F: Backup

Do you guys think it's a good setup?

And about the motherboard. I have to agree that it doesn't have a lot of Sata ports.

Thanks for all your help.

• 5. Re: Advice on custom build for a friend on a budget
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Is the GTX 660 officially compatible with Adobe Premiere? Because my friend is not proficient in technical aspects so I don't want him to change the config settings each time he updates Adobe Premiere.

No, it is not officially supported by Adobe, but it works very well as shown here: http://ppbm5.com/MPE%20Charts.php

Is your friend capable of opening, editing (well, changing one or two characters) and saving a .TXT file? If not, PR CS6 may be way over his head.

Have a look at the FAQ section where disk setup, raids and component choices are abundant.