8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 12:50 PM by Jgerard1

Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5

Aidan CH

Hi,

I am about to replace the hardware in my edit suite

but having run windows 7 and Premiere Pro CS5 with a decent level of reliability for the last couple of years

I was wondering if there are any advantages upgrading(?) to windows 8

• 1. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You won't see any performance difference.  The advantages of running Windows 8 are whatever advantages the newer OS brings over the older, of which there are a few.

Having said that, I've only tried CS6 under Windows 8, not 5.

• 2. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
            Aidan CH Level 1

Thank you for getting back so quick Jim.

I intend to upgrade to CS6 in the near future but are the advantages of windows 8 related to editing or just microsoft software?

• 3. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are used to windows 7 you'll hate windows 8

• 4. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
                Aidan CH Level 1

Haha, that says it all, thanks i'll stick to 7.

• 5. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>you'll hate windows 8

This is NOT an in depth technical review, it is simply a Win7 user commenting on Win8 on his wife's computer (which I built for her, and she insisted on Win8 after seeing it running on a computer in a store)

As well as building the computer, I did all software install for her... starting with Win8 itself

From my experience, Win8 is two OS's in one... the first thing you see is is the new W8 start screen, with large icons for APPS **and** traditional programs

If you click on an APP icon, W8 goes into a new APP program area... but the APP programs run very much like traditional programs

If you install a traditional program (which is what she uses) a large icon is placed on the start screen by default... which she likes because now she can arrange her program icons without having to ask me to go to the menu program I used on her older computer

When you click the icon for a traditional program, W8 goes to an operating space that looks very much like Win7... again, this is not a technical review, so I do not know the details of what Microsoft has changed "under the hood" between Win7 and Win8

She does not do video editing, but every program she uses works as it should

For video editing, I have read of problems (more in the Premiere Elements forum than in the Premiere Pro forum) so if you have the option, staying with Win7 might be better

• 6. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

are the advantages of windows 8 related to editing or just microsoft software?

Just general advantages of the newer OS, not related to any specific program.

• 7. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

If you are used to windows 7 you'll hate windows 8

Hogwash!  Windows 8 in Desktop mode is very similar to Windows 7, with minor differences and several improvements.

• 8. Re: Is windows 7 or 8 best for Premiere pro CS5
                        Jgerard1 Level 1

Hi all,

I have an old Dell PC and a Del Mini PC hooked to my HD TV running w7. I also have an iPad3. I have Premiere pro cs5, photoshop cs5 extended, Encore cs5. For some time I have switched to using a Canon 60D camera to shoot all my videos and then edit all videos on my iPad using Pinnacle Studio. This works so much easier for me because of the touch screen interface of the iPad and some simple items just are better designed in Pinnacle Studio.

I use Splashtop2 to connect my iPad to my Dell Computers. It works pretty well, implementing a lot of great touchscreen gestures but still not like using an iPad native app. To many windows in a PC app where one has to use a scroll bar to use.

My question is if I upgrade to windows 8 assuming it will run on either computer will that turn my iPad 100% into the feel of a windows 8 tablet and how will the use of Encore feel? If you Guys sort of understand what I am talking about. Occasionally, I still need to create DVDs. And there is no way to convert the mov file to Mpeg2 using my ipad directly.  I am looking for a more tablet feel when tieing into my PC, Basically.