3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 8:03 AM by Matt Dubuque

importing from illustrator

Arrakis Level 1

I want to import some artwork from illustrator into after effects and then be able to edit the anchor points.  My artwork has several sub layers its a shape with some shading and highlights etc.   I need to be able to animate the outer path so that it stretches up and down like rubber.  How do I import from illustrator so that my artwork stays in tact but so that I can animate it its shape?  

• 1. Re: importing from illustrator
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In CS6 you can simply use the Create Shapes from Vector Layer function in the Layer menu. Otherwise you will have to use copy&paste to insert individual vector paths from AI as masks or shape layer paths. In either case you will lose some stuff - there's simply no way to retain AI specific features fully editable in AE. Therfore you might wanan reconsider your approach and import the artwork as a flat layer, then animating it with deformation effects like the Puppet Tool, Liquify or Mesh Warp.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: importing from illustrator
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure that all your elements are on separate layers in Illustrator. Import as a composition retaining layer size then use tools like Puppet Pin or effects like Mesh Warp to distort the boundaries of the layer so thy stretch up and down like rubber.

Animating the actual vector path can be done using the techniques Mylenium suggested but it would be far more difficult and time consuming and you'll loose things like gradient fills and Illustrator effects. As long as you have continuous rasterization turned on you can stretch and bounce one or all of your  Illustrator layers to your hearts' content without any worries about pixelization.

Take a alook at this tutorial by Angie Taylor. It shows how she uses Puppet Pin to make bottles dance.

• 3. Re: importing from illustrator
              Matt Dubuque Level 1

Angie's great!  Love her work.... lots of fun....