6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 1:18 PM by Peter Spier RSS

Page number issue

XiaoKeith7

I received a file that has two page 1s, the cover and the actual first page. This is an issue if I try to print "page 1" because I get an error message that there are 2 of them.  I've tried removing and resetting the page numbers, I've added and removed pages, and I've reset master pages, nothing fixes this.  I've never seen this and have no idea how my client managed to do this. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,

Keith

• 1. Re: Page number issue
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Select the cover page in the Pages panel, then go to Numbering and Section options and change the Numbering Style to anything other than 1,2,3...

• 2. Re: Page number issue
            XiaoKeith7

Thanks Peter, I'm actually helping a co-worker with this and she's going to try it.

The page numbering itself doesn't seem to be the issue. It's a 42 page document and in the Pages window the numbering goes to 41.

EX. 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

I removed the first 5 pages and the numbering still reads   1, 1, 2, 3, 4....

So it's the physical page count, not  the numbering from the master pages.  Just the same, we're trying your suggestion.  I'll lte you what what happens

• 3. Re: Page number issue
              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Those numbers are "Logical" page numbers assigned throughthe numbering and section options (and appear when you choose to view section numbering). The "Absolute" numbering of pages is not affected, and you can specify absolute page numbers inthe print dialog, but it's really just easier to change the number styling onthe section numbering options so you don't have conflicts.

Front matter is traditionally numbered using small Roman numeral, and the first part of the book corpus gets Page 1 using Arabic numerals. I generally number the cover using ABC styles if it is included in the same file.

• 4. Re: Page number issue
                XiaoKeith7

Peter, I think you have it with the "Absolute" numbering.  My co-working is doing something else currently but we'll look into this.

I think, in th eoptions, the creater might have clicked the "start numbering at page xx" option.  In this case page 2, so that the cover is page 1 of the first section (so to speak) and the literal page 2 is being seen as Page 1 of the 2nd section.As soon as she's available we'll check

If that's not it we'll asign a letter or Roman to the cover page and move on

• 5. Re: Page number issue
                  Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

It's very normal to have a new section start at 1 for the "real" page 1 of a book. ID complains about the duplication when you do it, and it's normal to change the styling at that point, but not everyone does.

• 6. Re: Page number issue
                    Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

Keep in mind that the logical numbers are the ones that get picked up by the various page number markers, and the ones that show on the pages, not the absolute numbers.