12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2013 4:06 AM by Jeff Bellune RSS

Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

ZachRosing Community Member

I have an early 2008 Mac Pro running CS6 and 10.8.2. My usual workflow is burning two hour multi-cam live performances to DVD. Usually this is two cameras of DV, one camera of AVCHD, all in a DV timeline.

Lately I've been trying to burn DV timelines of nothing but AVCHD footage, and somewhere through the rendering process I always get a kernel panic. This happens with different projects, footage from different cameras (I'm using a Panasonic AG-AC130 or HMC40), whether I'm using Encore CS5 or CS6. The projects never finish. It seems to get 50-75% through rendering video before crashing. Rendering these projects on my MacBook Pro work just fine (though much slower). Timelines where it's not 100% AVCHD are still working fine.

I had began having kernel panics unrelated to Encore, but traced this back to a heat issue. It's an old machine after all. After installing smcFanControl, this problem has gone away. I don't normally burn timelines of nothing but AVCHD, but I'm certain there was a time in the past I was able to burn these without issue. I monitor my system temperature during rendering and I'm somewhat confident that's not what's crashing the system.

The top part of my latest crash report is listed below. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

Thu Mar 21 02:32:47 2013

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xffffff800fe9db1b): "TLB invalidation IPI timeout: " "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap: 0x1, NMIPI acks: orig: 0x0, now: 0x0"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2050.18.24/osfmk/x86_64/pmap.c:2337

Backtrace (CPU 6), Frame : Return Address

0xffffff8101e53c20 : 0xffffff800fe1d626

0xffffff8101e53c90 : 0xffffff800fe9db1b

0xffffff8101e53d10 : 0xffffff800fea2330

0xffffff8101e53dd0 : 0xffffff800fea2b65

0xffffff8101e53e20 : 0xffffff800fe66a1c

0xffffff8101e53f10 : 0xffffff800fe6a8f0

0xffffff8101e53f40 : 0xffffff800fe18aea

0xffffff8101e53f70 : 0xffffff800fea5b16

0xffffff8101e53fb0 : 0xffffff800feced53

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: PProHeadless

Mac OS version:

12C60

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 12.2.0: Sat Aug 25 00:48:52 PDT 2012; root:xnu-2050.18.24~1/RELEASE_X86_64

Kernel UUID: 69A5853F-375A-3EF4-9247-478FD0247333

Kernel slide:     0x000000000fc00000

Kernel text base: 0xffffff800fe00000

System model name: MacPro3,1 (Mac-F42C88C8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 1380749415118119

last loaded kext at 1365787386464065: com.apple.filesystems.afpfs    10.0 (addr 0xffffff7f9262e000, size 348160)

last unloaded kext at 1360973799296735: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEthernetHost    2.3.6 (addr 0xffffff7f9260b000, size 20480)

• 1. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6
          Stan Jones MVP

somewhere through the rendering process I always get a kernel panic.

What is the "rendering process"? Are you transcoding in Encore? Is this the Encore build?

If you are letting Encore do the transcode as part of the build, use "transcode now" to see if it is the transcode or a later part of the build process.

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: PProHeadless

This suggests it is a dynamic link issue. As an alternative, that most users prefer for HD to SD exports, Export MPEG2-DVD from Premiere and bring this into Encore.

• 2. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

I'm sending the timeline over from Premiere using Dynamic Link. Then I'm building a DVD image, and the transcoding happens at that point. It is specifically hapepning during the transcoding--I've watched when it crashes. It doesn't make it to audio, and in my transcode folder I'll have a half-finished file.

This isn't an HD project. It's using footage from an HD camera, but it's been scaled down to SD size and is in a Widescreen DV timeline, and that's what I bring across w/ Dynalic Link, vs. an HD timeline.

I've always avoided exporting directly from Premiere as I want Encore to use the full amount of space available on the DVD, since my projects are often 2+ hours, and this has been difficult to do exporting out of Premiere. But that doesn't address the problem anyway, that I should be able to do this without a panic.

I will try exporting one of these problem timelines directly from Premiere to see if the same crash happens.

• 3. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6
              Stan Jones MVP

Yes, the "automatic" setting is very nice. A large percentage of the DL problems reported involve HD to SD downrezzing.

You describe a difference in workflow where the older projects were mixed types (SD/HD?), and I assume were in SD sequences. Are the new ones HD sequences in PR?

I agree all of these options should work.

• 4. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

The sequences are always SD. The sequences that are working fine are 66% SD footage, 33% HD footage, but all scaled down to SD. The ones that are crashing are 100% HD footage, but scaled down to SD. In fact, what I'm usually doing is taking my 3 camera shoot that was done with MultiCam, and changing all the clips to just the HD camera, which is my wide-stage shot, so that I can burn a DVD of just my stationary wide-stage camera. So, my edited sequence would work fine, but using the same footage, just the HD camera, it would crash.

I say all that to try and rule out that maybe there's a problem with the footage, or my particular sequence, or anything random like that.

• 5. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6
                  Stan Jones MVP

I think that is good troubleshooting. Are you saying that it is the exact same sequence, but with only the one camera selected? I'd look for a gap - audio or video.

Did the direct export succeed? Yes, a failure there would point to a problem in the sequence.

• 6. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

Well that didn't last long. Exporting one of these sequences directly from Premiere, using an MPEG2-DVD preset, crashed it after just about 10 minutes.

If I took my 3 camera DV sequence, and every clip that was either camera 1 or 2 (my SD cameras) I changed it to 3 (my HD camera, that sequence that originally transcoded just fine would now crash the system. And the timeline I'm trying now is all AVCHD footage from the start, in a DV sequence.

And again, these sequences are transcoding just fine on other Macs. (Well, they were until my system crashed and the footage from the network disappeared. That's several hours wasted.)

It's got to be something with this machine, I just don't know where to start to figure out what.

• 7. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6
                      Stan Jones MVP

Is there something about that sequence that does not like changing the cameras. As next test, I would just set up the pure HD cam in the same sequence presets and see if that exports.

• 8. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

The latest sequence I'm using has nothing to do with Multicam. It's just one clip of HD footage, scaled down to DV size using the motion settings, trying to export as MPEG2-DVD. Very simple.

I'll try avoiding the sequence completely this time, and export the original footage directly to that preset, and see if it happens again.

• 9. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6
                          Jeff Bellune ACP

After a not-too-intense Bing search, the particular panic you're getting seems to be an indication of:

1. Your Mac Pro is dying.
                          2. Bad drivers in combo with an unforgiving OS.

I don't have any easy advice for number 1.  If it is still a heat issue, you may need to redo the thermal paste on the CPU and blow the dust out of the heat sink.  If it's a deeper problem than that, some serious repair work up to and including replacement may be required.  Either way, it will be a painful fix.  For number 2, try updating your graphics card drivers (which card do you have?) and/or going back to 10.6.x or Lion 10.7.x and see if things improve. 

Jeff

EDIT: Although Encore and Premiere Pro have their share of bugs, a lot of times they expose weaknesses in a system because of how much they tax all of the hardware and software. 

• 10. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

I already know it's dying. I'm desperate to unload this machine and waiting very impatiently for Apple to update it. I can't bring myself to buy another Pro w/o Thunderbolt.

I have a GTX 285. Which I bought used several years ago, and for a while had all sorts of crazy strange problems with it (back when MPE was first introduced), but it's worked fine for a couple years now. It's all up to date.

This is the answer I was afraid of but can't say I'm surprised. I considered reinstalling the OS to see if anything improved, but I did that less than 6 months ago and I'm skeptical it would really solve anything. Sigh.

• 11. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6

Jeff, what article did you find that led you to the dying conclusion? Not suggesting it's wrong, I just haven't had any luck finding much relavant information myself...

• 12. Re: Kernel panic rendering AVCHD footage in Encore CS5 or CS6
                                Jeff Bellune ACP

I entered the phrase, "CPU(s) failed to respond to interrupts, unresponsive CPU bitmap" (without quotes) into a Bing search and it was an Apple-related hit on the first page that initially mentioned it.  I found other users on pages 2 and/or 3 that also had critical hardware problems.  Several more had driver issues causing the error.

Jeff