3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2013 10:37 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Better handling of layered EXRs?

Navarro Parker Level 3

Is there a better plug-in that handles multi-layer EXRs than the EXtractoR plug-in?

It's a little tedious to scroll through a messy looking list three times for the R, G, and B channel for each layer I want to use.

In Nuke, I only have to select a layer name once and it's smart enough to know that I want to use the R, G & B of everything with the same name. There's also less visual clutter in the Nuke pop-up menu.

Extractor-Interface.png Nuke-Layered-multipass-EXR.png

• 1. Re: Better handling of layered EXRs?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not that I know of but this is a great feature request.

• 2. Re: Better handling of layered EXRs?
            fnordware Level 3

EXtractoR was set up this way to give maximum flexibility, but yes it's at the expense of ease-of-use. I have considered adding a checkbox to auto-select the G and B channels when you have set the R.

But actually, I don't get many requests for that anymore because most people use the "ProEXR Comp Creator" function built into the "ProEXR AE" plug-in. You can download it for free here. That feature will set up comps for each layer, set up EXtractoR for you and more. It's even easier than linking the EXtractoR menus together in the dialog (not to say you couldn't have both).

http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/compcreate.png

While you're at it, I would also suggest replacing the ProEXR plug-ins that ship with AE (OpenEXR, EXtractoR, IDentifier) with the latest versions, because they should give you a big speed boost with all the channels you have. CS6 ships with version 1.5, but the latest version is 1.7.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Better handling of layered EXRs?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for the information, Brendan.