4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 2:01 AM by Mylenium

Import of avi only loads part of whole video

rhovley Level 1

I am importing a large avi file into After Effects.  It is 50 minutes long.  When I import it into after effects, it only loads 32 seconds of it.  I've tried renaming the file, reloading the program, but it still will only load that small portion of it.

• 1. Re: Import of avi only loads part of whole video
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you mean that the info in the Project Panel only shows 32 seconds? What kind of file? There are a zillion, will ok maybe not a zillion, but there are a lot of different types of AVI files. What is the frame rate? Where did it come from? We don't know enough about your project to give you any help at all. Please send a scren shot of the info about the footage imported into AE and let us know where the avi came from.

• 2. Re: Import of avi only loads part of whole video
            rhovley Level 1

Thank you for your response, Rick!  The info in the project window only shows 34 seconds, and when I pull it into a composition, it remains 34 seconds.  The original file was taken using a web camera on a gateway using their software and is 57 minutes long.  The web cam is 1.3m HD, but I can't find any other specs in the program, like what frame rate it is recording at, only the dimensions of 640x480. It was loaded raw onto the computer and is a terrifying 60 GB, which is another reason I am trying to trim and compress it using after effects.

filmClipInfo.jpgfilmClipInfo2.jpg

I just tried a cop out and loaded it into windows movie maker and it read the file without problem, so I can render it out of there as an mpeg or other file and load that into AE after.

• 3. Re: Import of avi only loads part of whole video
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try bringing the file into Premiere Pro. Also try opening the file in media player and check the properties. For a 50 minute video I would start with PPro anyway. AE's not very suited to editing things that are this long let alone viewing this much footage in real time so you can make editing decisions.

• 4. Re: Import of avi only loads part of whole video
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

YUY2 is a RAW AVI, meaning utetrly and totalyl uncompressed, hence the filesize. this may also simply be the reason it doesn't load - you run out of memory when AE tries to scan the whole file. If you can convert it in anotehr tool, than that seems a reasonable way to proceed.

Mylenium