2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 10:49 AM by Joel Cherney

Do you have hindi fonts for InDesign CS4 and if so how much are they?

ianritchiearchitects

Do you have hindi fonts for InDesign CS4 and if so how much are they?

• 1. Re: Do you have hindi fonts for InDesign CS4 and if so how much are they?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This is a user forum, so it's not likely that you will find anyone who actually sells fonts here, though I'm sure you will get some recommendations of fonts that work well, and perhaps some fonts to avoid.

I got quite a few hits on google serching for "fonts hindi."

• 2. Re: Do you have hindi fonts for InDesign CS4 and if so how much are they?
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe does offer a few Unicode fonts that support Hindi  I'd expect that you'd be asking for Devanagari fonts, though. Have you ever done any Hindi typesetting? I mean, when we typeset English we don't do it in "English fonts" but in "Latin-script fonts."

There are two main classes of Devanagari fonts - the more common, older fonts where someone took a Latin-script font, erased the characters, and replaced them with Devanagari glyphs, versus contemporary Unicode fonts. The first class are wonky, hard to use, and quite common. If you're in-country you will find lots of ways to buy those kinds of fonts. You also can use them in InDesign without needing any scripts or plugins to turn on the World-Ready Composer. I find Unicode fonts to be much easier to use, to automatically compose according to proper rules regarding behavior of glyphs - but to use them in CS4, you'd need something like World Tools or IndicPlus. I'm a World Tools user myself but if you're going to be doing only Hindi work in CS4, I'd suggest that you look at IndicPlus first.

In short - it's deeper than it looks. If you want to tell us more about what you're trying to do, we might be able to give you better advice.