5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 11:56 AM by Peter Spier

CS4 — Book using two or more files

A. Wayne Webb Level 1

I am using CS4 and need to set up a book (I know how to do that) that encompasses two or more files.  In File 1 I have a text block placed across a two page spread.  The last column will be a page number pointing to a specific page in File 2.

Question 1:  How do I get File 1 to link to the specific page in File 2?

Question 2:  Is there a way so that if the page in File 2 moves within the file, to have the reference in File 1 change?

Question 3:  Is there perhaps a tutorial for this?

Question 4:  Am I correct in that if this works I will be able to output a PDF with internal links in place?

Cordially,
      A. Wayne Webb

• 1. Re: CS4 — Book using two or more files
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You need to use Cross-References. That said, inter-document cross-refs in books are notoriously "flakey" -- they self destruct or do other things at the drop of a hat -- so if you can combine the files into one you might be better off.

• 2. Re: CS4 — Book using two or more files
            A. Wayne Webb Level 1

Thank you Peter.  I avoid LARGE files, anything over 100 pages, when using InDesign.  I have had way too many instances of ID trashing the files, losing weeks and even months of work.

Part of the problem I am running into is that I do not know how big File 1 will be or how many pages as I'm just starting the project.  Therefore I do not know what page number to use in File 2.  I do believe I will have to create the first file, then the second file, and then go back and edit my last column in File 1.  In other words, the far right numbers on the first spread have to be manually input.

In the linked PDF to this posting the far right column "1" on the first spread links to page 1 of File 2.  The resultant survey image then links back to the page spread.

If you see anything I'm missing I would appredicate the help.  After all that I cannot use numbers for my footnotes because they are treated as part of the text string.  This means if I want that column to be decimal aligned, I have to use something else.

Cordially,
            A. Wayne Webb

• 3. Re: CS4 — Book using two or more files

Losing work is not a normal part of working with ID for most users, which may indicate some other problem on your system.

I'm not sure I understand what's in the two files. And what are those numbers representing? Page numbers? How do you link back? Do you need to go back to a specific view? Hyperlinks might work better than cross-refs (I don't work with them in my workflow, so I don't really know).

If you really feel you need two files combined in a book, I would seriously look at commercial cross-reference plugins instead of relying on ID's built-in feature.

• 4. Re: CS4 — Book using two or more files
                A. Wayne Webb Level 1

Afternoon Peter,

Thank you for the responses.  I am taking four old timey reference works and combining them into one modern book.  The text pages represent three sets of records merged together.  I will end up with an Indesign "book" containing four files: front matter, text, survey images, and an index.  I am guessing it will be somewhere around 600 pages or so.  As for InDesign crashing, it has happened all too often.  And on this computer it has happended twice.  'Tis a brand new computer that I home-built with all the best toys.  It cost me northward of $3,900 and everything was installed fresh.  As for others and the "crash and trash" problem, it has been written about so often as to seem normal workflow for ID.

The "1, 2, 3" numbers represent the page of the second portion of the PDF (the surveys / File 2). Clicking on a number, when it is correct, takes you to the survey image.  Clicking on the survey image takes you back to the text entry.  I can easily set the view in the options of the hyperlink or cross reference.

The end of it is that I after I have the text and the images in place in File 1 and File 2, I will have to manually come back and update the "1, 2, 3" references.  InDesign, at least my version, cannot handle automatically updating the links and numbers.

As for your last thought, yeah, as soon as I win the lottery.  I will figure this one out though.

Cordially,
                A. Wayne Webb

• 5. Re: CS4 — Book using two or more files

Cross references DO update automatically, which is why I suggested them to begin with.

I'm not suggesting there's a problem with your hardware (I have a home-built system, too, and have been building my own for years), but you might be running something that has a conflict with ID. If I see a crash in ID more than once a year working with my own files (I get a lot of test files that crash, but that's why they get sent to me) I would say that was unusual.