10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2007 1:46 AM by Nick_Mundy

Candy Mountain Massacre

mockworld Level 1
      Hello, we've just released a new Shockwave first person shooter called Candy Mountain Massacre: < http://www.adultswim.com/games/candymountain/index.html >

Exterminate the infected creatures of Candy Mountain while saving the uninfected cupcakes.
      Steve
      www.mockworld.com
        • 1. Candy Mountain Massacre
          tyree_2 Level 2
          I know first person games are easier to make but will you do a 3d person action game. I know about killroy but that was more of a 1st person game with 3rd person character and view thrown in. will you make a 3rd person game with a character thats agile and flexible. and the controls for the character should be on the screen, a duck or roll button instead of a keypress
          • 2. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
            AlinaX Level 1
            Nice game Steve.
            The 'infected creatures' look lovely.

quote:

Originally posted by: tyree_2
            I know first person games are easier to make but will you do a 3d person action game.

Try to make a first person shooter game first of all and you can share your deep thoughts after that.

• 3. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
              Erhard Zrust Level 1
              nice game, I also like the idea behind it

by the way, what's so easy in making a 1st person?
              • 4. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
                Erhard Zrust Level 1
                nice game, I also like the idea behind it

by the way, what's so easy in making a 1st person?
                • 5. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
                  mockworld Level 1
                  Cool, glad you guys like the game. Well... except for tyree :)
                  • 6. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
                    Level 7
                    mockworld wrote:

> Cool, glad you guys like the game. Well... except for tyree :)

Hi,

I like it too:) Really nice feel to the game.

And think tyree's comment has been taken a bit too harshly. Seems to
                    have been interpreted as - "First person is the soft option approach,
                    why don't you make it in third person?" But it may have been said with
                    this meaning in mind, "First person games seem easier to build - is this
                    true? Do you have any third person games?" And so, an answer could be a
                    short explanation of what's involved with building a first person game,
                    why you chose this approach rather than third person, any third person
                    games you have made. And I'd be interested to hear these things.

regards
                    Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                    email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 7. Candy Mountain Massacre
                      tyree_2 Level 2
                      the question raised had to do with taking on the challenges of a 3rd person game or scene which is a bit more involved than a 1st person shooter. where its essentially just a hand and a weapon and an unobstructed view since the character isnt in the way. take your mech game its a respctable 3rd person online game. why not make a 3rd person game with a character thats actually agile that can roll and do acrobatics of some kind and isnt limited to simply walking around. I havent seen a lot of online 3d shockwave games of this type. It would most likely be unique. this seems like a natural progression since you already have 3rd person games where the character is walking around and this just the next step along that line
                      • 8. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
                        Nick_Mundy
                        Great game, love the look and style of the graphics/models etc.. would you mind if I ask which 3D app you guys use and if you exported the level out as a complete scene or separate models?

Thanks
                        Nick
                        • 9. Re: Candy Mountain Massacre
                          mockworld Level 1
                          Hi Nick,

All of the 3D models and textures were made in 3DS Max. The levels were all exported out as one W3D file, but within that one file there were many separate models. Also, there are some invisible models, for proxy geometry and such, those are part of the W3D as well. In total each level W3D contains about 23.5k polys.

Steve
                          www.mockworld.com
                          • 10. Candy Mountain Massacre
                            Nick_Mundy Level 1
                            Hi Steve,
                            Thanks for the info its great to get an idea about how games this professional get built.

Thanks
                            Nick