16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 9:19 AM by ElwoodWP

I am having a problem printing from CS5.

ElwoodWP

When I print directly from ID CS5 the colors are not as they appear on screen.  When I export to .pdf I get black boxes in place of some of my text.  The onscreen product looks fine, but the printed result is inconsistent.

• 1. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried exporting to a PDF and printing from Acrobat or Reader? It can help in some cases.

• 2. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is your monitor calibrated and profiled? How about the printer? Are you using Printer color management or ID color management when you print? In an unmanaged workflow with uncalibrated equipment it would be next to miraculous to get predictable output.

You say you get black boxes for som of the text? What are you using to open the PDF?

• 3. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
              ElwoodWP Level 1

Yes, I am using Adobe Reader to print the PDF.  The crazy thing is I did the same thing a year ago and had no problems.

A bit more detail on printing from CS5:  I have a top banner line.  The colors print true on one page, but on the facing page it looks gray and is pixellated.

In Reader: The first letter of the banner line is replaced by a black box. 

The display shows neither of these anomalies.

• 4. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                ElwoodWP Level 1

I am afraid I do not understand your questions.  I am printing a school yearbook.  Last year I did the same thing with the same equipment and programming and had no problem.

• 5. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.

If you don't understand questions about color management it's a good bet you don't understand how it works and how you should be setting up the files.

There are a number of possibilities here. First is that your uncalibrated monitor is not showing you the correct colors to begin with. Waht you see on screen isn't necessarliy the colors really defined by the color numbers in your file. Second is the printer may not be accurately ooutputting the numbers sent, or it may be outputting accurately, but they look wrong because the monitor is lying to you.

A third, and very large, possibility is that you are using the wrong settings in the print dialog or the export dialog for the destination profile so that the colors are not matched to the intended output device (your printer). Just how far off, and in what way, are the prints? Due to the nature of scanning and the forums we probably can't tell much about the difference from a photo or scan of the print, or I'd ask you to show us that and a screen capture of the file in ID.

• 6. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                    ElwoodWP Level 1

When printing directly from CS5: Most of my problem is in a banner line at the top of the page.  This consists of a rectangle box filled with a desired color and the Bevel and Emboss effect.  Overlaying this box is a text box.  Facing pages tend to be identical, yet one page print fine while the other page shows the box in a dark grayish tone with significant pixellation as if the color were not supported.  How is that possible when the preceding page prints just fine.

When printing from Reader:  The error occurs in the same banner area.  The first letter of the text is replaced by a black box.  The rest of the text prints as it should and the color is as expected.

The balance of the pages is covered with color photos which print in a reliable manner.  Why the problem in the banner line?

• 7. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.

Are you using a Pantone spot color for the banner?

What you describe could be the result of transparency flattening interacting with a spot color. A screen grab of the spread in ID and the PDF might be useful, after all.

• 8. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                        ElwoodWP Level 1

I created the banner box, double-clicked the fill box option on the left column and selected the color from the displayed options.  However, as I previously mentioned, facing pages are identical in this region, yet one page prints fine while the other is ruined.

Nothing on the screen indicates the problem so a screen shot would probably not help.

• 9. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                          ElwoodWP Level 1

The black box over the first letter in PDF print is related to the other.  I have just noticed that the box is pixellated and not exactly black, more of the dark grayish tone noted on the CS5 banner.  So whatever the problem is, the PDF reflects the same thing but on a smaller scale.

You mentioned the color issue.  Since I am using the color chart provided in CS5, why should there be a conflict witht he flattening?

• 10. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                            ElwoodWP Level 1

Adobe Problem.jpgThis is a scan of my problems.  On left is the CS5 result.  On the right is the pdf export.  Is this a help?

• 11. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.

The bevel and emboss effect is a transparency effect, so in theory both pages should be the same, but you say they are not. What happens if you select one of these two-page spreads in the Pages panel and move it into a new file (make the new file first, then select the pages to move and choose Move Pages... from the pages panel flyout menu)?

• 12. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                                ElwoodWP Level 1

Not sure where we are headed with this.  There is no visible problem until I print the pages. 

I just did a copy paste of the banner line to another document.  It printed without difficulty.

I also have removed the emboss and bevel effect from the original document and the printing error still appears.

The font is used throughout the document so that does not appear to be the issue.  I have determined that the error occurs in 20 of 42 pages.

• 13. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.

I really want you to move pages, rather than copy/paste, becasue it may help to show if the actual spread is a problem, if there's some sort of file corruption, or sometheing else entirely.

If you want to text using Copy/Paste, copy EVERYTHInG on the two-page spread and paste it into a new two-page spread in a new file. That will also be useful.

Where we are going is trying to determine if the file is corrupt, and if it is if we can fix it. Does this file have a history of repeated use through "recycling" (save as a new version, then remove unneeded content and add new)?

• 14. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                                    ElwoodWP Level 1

I moved several pages as you suggested.  The results have been mixed.  The first page I moved printed just fine.  Then I moved a 2-page spread.  The first page of the spread printed perfectly.  The second had the same error in the banner line.

This file has not been recycled.  I started the file in January and have been building it from that point.

I just thought of something which may or may not be relevant.  When I first tried to print the CS5 file, I selected print on both sides of the paper.  To do so I had to go through the options dialog in the print box.  A pop-up message warned to use options listed in CS5 to avoid conflicts.  Since that particular option was not available in CS5, I made the change in the printer's options.  Following the problem's first occurence I have not tried the two-sided print option, but the problem has persisted.

• 15. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.

OK, this is actually good information. We move a spread and it failed as before, so that means it's something about the pages. Next step is to try an export to .idml and resave that aas a new .indd file. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

If that still doesn't fix the problem we're getting down to last resorts. Try the select all, copy, and paste in a new file that I mentioned in the last post. Hopefully that will fix things. If not, you may have to rebuild completely.

• 16. Re: I am having a problem printing from CS5.
                                        ElwoodWP Level 1

After removing the command to print both sides of the paper, the problem seems to have disappeared.  I will keep in mind the export option if any further problems appear.  Thanks so much for helping me work through this problem.