1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 6:19 PM by rolyatlah RSS

From PP to Encore I lose audio

rolyatlah

When moving from PP to Encore I, as aparently hundreds, most likely thousands, of other folks have experienced, lose the audio portion of my project. Sometimes I will get only the first part. Here are some points to consider:

1. Many threads have spoken of leaving the Encore more time to process. I have left mine for an entire day. If that is not enough time??

2. I am importing from a Sony video camera VX2000 NTSC I am processing standard DVs NOT HD NOT Blu Ray. 720X480 29.97fps

3. I am NOT a knowledgeable video editor I make rocking chairs and teach people how to make them - www.rockingchairuniversity.com I do my own websites, write books and edit videos in order to support my students. If Adobe supported their customers as well as I support mine I would NOT be on this forum now!

4. I have spent the better part of the last four days working on this problem. At one point I envoked Audition from PP and was able to convert the entire audio to MONO. Within Audition I selected the audio with control C, went back to PP and pasted it to an open audio channel, muted the original tracks and then processing in Encore went quite well. (could have been a dream) BUT I do not recall what I did in Audition to accomplish said task.

• 1. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Encore CS6, with updates to 6.0.2?

Dynamic linking from PR to Encore?

What is the source audio format and particulars? Assume capture in Premiere as NTSC DV with PCM 48K stereo audio.

PR sequence settings? Assume standard DV with 48K stereo.

What is the Encore default transcode setting for audio? (Dolby?)

• 2. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio
            rolyatlah Community Member

Encore 6.0.2

Dynamic linking    

Yes NTSC DV

Yes standard dv 48K

Encore default transcode - I have no idea It appears to be unviewable. Appears to have been dictated by PP.

I just started a new project, imported two short clips into the timeline, dynamic linked to Encore and only the first two seconds of audio plays. Wait 10 minutes the audio stops in exactly the same place.

• 3. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

OK here is a clue:

When I started my new project I specified MONO. When I first transfered to Encore I had then TWO mono audio tracks.

I just deleted all but one audio track (similar to what I had done before to get Encore to work) and when I dynamic linked the file to Encore the audio played just fine.

Logic would dictate that the bug has SOMETHING to do with the number of audio tracks.

• 4. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Now it is back to dropping audio even with the single track.

• 5. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I see your next 2 posts also.

I just started a new project, imported two short clips into the timeline, dynamic linked to Encore and only the first two seconds of audio plays. Wait 10 minutes the audio stops in exactly the same place.

That is very weird. More info. New project in Premiere, I assume? The short clips are VX2000? How did you create the sequence?

From Premiere did a Send to Encore? So it is a new Encore project? Does the Send operation also create the timeline, or do you create it?

• 6. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio
                    Stan Jones CommunityMVP

When I started my new project I specified MONO. When I first transfered to Encore I had then TWO mono audio tracks.

Started the new project in Premiere? You don't want mono. In the end, DVD needs to be a single stereo track. You put the same thing in both channels of a stereo track if you want mono. Getting two tracks in Encore means you would have to select a track.

I understand your searching for options, but I don't think the mono options will be an adequate workaround.

• 7. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

This morning I am starting from scratch:

New project:

Video rendering and playback    

Mercury playback engine software only (can not change)

Video

Display format

Timecode

Audio

Display format

Audio Samples

Capture

Capture format

DV

New Sequence

Sequence presets:

DV NTSC

Standard 48khz

When downloading video from Sony VX2000 I used "scene detect" and ended up with about 80, on average, clips per one hour tape. I am loading two or three of these "clips" into this project for testing. Total sequence length, maybe three minutes.

Some of the data from my "sequence settings" are:

Display format: 30fps drop frame timecode

Audio 48khz

Display format: Audio samples

Preview file format:  NTSC DV

Codec DV NTSC

Max bit depth not selected and Maximum render not selected.

In "preferences" I have:

Audio:

5.1 mixdown type: Front + Rear

Mono media: Adaptive

Stereo Media: Adaptive

5.1 Media: Adaptive

Multichannel Mono Media: Adaptive (I changed to adaptive because Adobe was changing my voice overs to "chipmunk mode"

Then I select "file" and "import" and select two or three of my clips from the "sony capture".

Now I have four clips in my project window, "Project: test"

I double click to move to my edit window and then drag them to my timeline (sequence 01)

I now have about a minute and a half of video plus audio.

I see something I have not noticed before  --  On my audio 1 track I see some tiny boxes on the far right and when I hover over them they say "channel output mapping" It is setup for input 1 > output 1 and input 2 > output 2

I click "file" > "Adobe Dynamic Link" > "Send to Encore"

in Encore:

Project settings:

Authoring mode: DVD

Television Standard: NTSC

Transcode Settings: Codec: MPEG-2 Dimensions 720X480: Frame Rate 29.97;

Fields: Lower Field First

Audio Transcoding Scheme: Dolby Digital

Maximum Audio/Video bitrate: 8Mbps

I click "OK"

Thirty seconds or so later Encore opens with my video showing. I press play and I hear audio for approximately 1 or two seconds. 15 minutes later I still hear audio for one or two seconds. (it stops in exactly the same place)

I happen to have two machines on my desk, both less than two weeks old. An HP Pavillion with 6Gb memory a fast processor and a 1.5Tb hard drive with nothing on it except my Adobe programs. The other is an Acer with 10Gb memory and a 2Tb hard drive with nothing on it but my Adobe programs. This operation was conducted on my Acer. I will now execute exactly the same sequence of operations using exactly the same clips on my HP Pavilion and will report back.

• 8. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

I executed exactly the same steps on my HP machine but decided to use three different clips in order to eliminate the clips as a cause of the problem and I get exactly the same thing! I get audio for about one or one and a half seconds then video with no audio for the remainder of the clip.

This is the first time I have used Adobe on the HP machine.

Hal

• 9. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio
                          Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

I see something I have not noticed before  --  On my audio 1 track I see some tiny boxes on the far right and when I hover over them they say "channel output mapping" It is setup for input 1 > output 1 and input 2 > output 2

I don't think that's part of the standard Premiere Pro interface.  Do you have any third party audio or video hardware installed, like AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox?

Jeff

• 10. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

These are both brand new machines and the ONLY software installed on them is Adobe. I think this may be an artefact of having deleted all of the audio tracks at one time. But - that aside - the HP machine does not have this little doo-dah and it still drops the audio.

Hal

• 11. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

These are both brand new machines and the ONLY software installed on them is Adobe

I asked about hardware, not software.

You should figure out for sure where that "doo-dah" came from.  I don't have it in my copy of CS6, and I've never seen it in any earlier version.  If something on your machine can get into Pr deep enough to alter its UI, it could be in deep enough to mess up other things, including audio and export.

Jeff

• 12. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Lets concentrate on the HP machine which does not have the doo-dah and has exactly the same problem of dropping Audio. I will turn the Acer machine off during the remainder of this troubleshooting process.

It has no other software or hardware except what it came with (windows 8) and ONLY Adobe software.

Hal

• 13. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

These are both brand new machines and the ONLY software installed on them is Adobe

So you reformatted your hard drive, reinstalled a retail copy of Windows, and then installed the Adobe software?  Because if you didn't do that, you have a whole lot of software on those machines that have nothing to do with Adobe.

Jeff

• 14. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Are you guys trained in obfuscation? I don't recall in reading the Adobe documentation that a complete reformat of the HD and reinstall of the OS was a requirement to successfully run their software. Can we get back on topic here?

• 15. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Hi Hal,

I asked about hardware and you chose not to answer.  I asked you to investigate an anomaly in the interface and you refused.   You say there's no other software on your computer besides Adobe, but that's just not true if you bought an off-the-shelf system.  I can't troubleshoot effectively if I don't have all the information I need and can eliminate variables.  I'm sorry that I wasn't able to do more to help -- you will need to get someone else to assist you.

Jeff

• 16. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

In spite of the brilliant job you did getting to the heart of the matter, I don't think I am going to miss you. Thanks for your time anyway.

Hal

• 17. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

So I stepped away from my desk, and despite my brain telling my mind to let go of this issue, my OCD wouldn't let that happen.  I hate unsolved problems, so please PTI.  I was busy performing domestic chores when I had a small spark of insight.  If I've read all your posts correctly, the only way you've tried to get your audio into En from Pr is via dynamic link.  If that's the case, then here's a possible workaround that doesn't solve the dynamic link issue but may allow you to finish your project:

Export your sequence from Pr using an MPEG2 DVD preset.  Then import the M2V video and WAV audio (or M2V and AC3) files into an En project.  Add them to a timeline and see if you get all the audio.  I recommend setting up your En project's audio to match whatever format you used to export from Pr -- either WAV or AC3.

Jeff

• 18. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Thanks Jeff, I will attempt to do what you recommend.

Hal

• 19. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

When I exported from PP using MPEG2 I used the preset NTSC DV high quality ( could not find DVD )

The file I ended up with was sequence01.mpg.

If I imported this file into Encore as a timeline I get no video. If I import it as an asset the video is perfect. I do not know much about Encore except how to make a menu.

When I import as an asset it shows up as a thumbnail in the top left corner with a play triangle on it. Clicking this triangle results in the thumb playing well with video. I can not get it into a timeline.

Will my chapter markers export using MPEG2?

Progress is being made - Thanks!

Hal

• 20. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

In the above post I said -

"If I imported this file into Encore as a timeline I get no video."

I should have said AUDIO - sorry

• 21. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Sorry Jeff, I need a nap. This Adobe stuff has me about two steps from the Asylum.  When I said clicking the thumbnail resulted in playing well with video I meant to say AUDIO. So importing as an asset I get good audio.

• 22. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

When I exported from PP using MPEG2 I used the preset NTSC DV high quality ( could not find DVD )

Sounds like you don't have all your presets.  That's been an issue with CS6 licensing for a lot of users.  No idea why it happens, but the usual fix is to deactivate En or Pr, close the app, reboot then activate.  Let us know if you get your MPEG2 DVD presets to be available.

If it's the weird licensing issue, that would also explain the lack of audio if you were exporting with Dolby Digital audio.

If you do get your presets back, try sending the sequence to En via dynamic link again.  My guess is you'll get audio this time.

Jeff

• 23. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

If I export the timeline using the "same settings as PP" I get a Sequence01.avi file. If I then import this into Encore as a timeline - NO audio

However, If I import it as an asset. the Audio is fine.

• 24. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Is your En project set up to use Dolby Digital audio?  If so, that may explain why the asset has audio but the timeline doesn't if your problem is the licensing issue.  Let's try the deactivate/activate dance first.

Jeff

• 25. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Hello Jeff,

By "De-activate" do you mean uninstall or simply close and then re-boot my computer. I uninstalled Premiere Pro this morning and re-installed it but this did not make any difference.

Hal

• 26. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

How do I check to see if En is set up to use Dolby?

• 27. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

No need to uninstall.  Go to Help>Deactivate.  If it prompts you to save or delete your preferences, choose save (for now).

• 29. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Since I have deactivated PP I now have to reinstall it and can not check until after the install is complete. Will let you know in a bit.

• 30. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

No problem.  Typically, you shouldn't have to uninstall it -- it should either automatically reactivate when you launch it again, or it should ask you for your Adobe ID and serial number.  Strange.

Jeff

• 31. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

I just restarted PP and see that I have more choices now for export including MPEG DVD - that is progress.

• 32. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Now I am F_____D because En is asking for a serial number. I subscribed to the creative suite and did not get a sn with that I just use my Adobe ID and password. Any work around?

Short of dynamite?

• 33. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Can not access En on my Acer machine any longer but the En on my HP machine says it is using Dolby Digital. It says exactly the same thing in your screen shot.

• 34. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

I know it probably seems like you're juggling a lot of balls in the air right now, but I'll try to focus on what's most important.  Some questions:

1. Does the copy of Pr on your HP have the MPEG2 DVD export preset?
                                                                          2. If the answer to 1 is yes, can you add your previous .mpg asset to a timeline in En on your HP machine and get audio?
                                                                          3. Can you get a Pr sequence into En using File>Adobe Dynamic Link on your HP?
                                                                          4. If the answer to 3 is yes, does that sequence have audio in En?

Jeff

NB: Adobe's licensing only allows you to use one copy of the suite at a time.  So if you had En open and in use on one machine, the system may have balked at you trying to open En at the same time on the other machine.  If that doesn't describe your situation, then never mind.

• 35. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

working on these questions now. Will get right back to you.

• 36. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

It worked! I have video AND audio. Now, will I be able to get all of my chapter data into En in this manner and perhaps more importantly what is the problem. Should I try and use Dynamic link again?

Hal

• 37. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Still have no luck with Dynamic Link. I tried all three audio choices in En, Dolby pci?? and what ever the other one is.

Hal

• 38. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Good!  More progress.  Question 3 above was about testing dynamic link.  In En, go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link and choose your Pr project and your Pr sequence.  Add the sequence to an En timeline and see if you have audio.  Your chapter markers should come along with the sequence.  To get chapter markers when exporting from Pr, you have to use an MPEG2 DVD preset.  When you add the M2V and WAV files to a timeline, your chapter markers should show up.

Jeff

• 39. Re: From PP to Encore I lose audio

Still can not get audio from PP sequence loaded into En.

1 2 Previous Next