5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2013 3:10 PM by the_wine_snob

video does not cover whole screen

eiknachui

hi

i downloaded a video clip (MP4 360p) from Youtube

when i edit it in PrE 10, its height is OK, but the width is too small and therefore to the left and to the right there are black vertical stripes. Magnification is set to "Fit". If i set magnification to 75% or 100% then the video covers the whole screen but at the expense of resolution.

is there any way to stretch the screen widthwise while leaving the height the same?

• 1. Re: video does not cover whole screen
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is your PrE 10 Project setting?

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of that YouTube Video? If you do not know, you should be able to find that in PrE with Rt-click>Properties in the Project Panel, or you can run that Video through G-Spot, or MediaInfo (both free file info utilities).

The black bars are a sign of a mis-match between your Source Footage (the YouTube Video), and your Project Frame Size setting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: video does not cover whole screen
            eiknachui Level 1

indeed, there is a mismatch between the youtube video (450x360) and project setting (1280x720)

that's a shame i didnt pay attention before starting my project.

will try to change the settings of the existing projects by using tips found here http://forums.adobe.com/message/2820493

• 3. Re: video does not cover whole screen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, that odd Video Frame Size will not be matched by any PrE Project Preset (only standard Video Frame Sizes and FPS), so there are basically two options, with one variation:

One can choose the smallest Frame Size Projet Preset, which will be 720 x 480 (NTSC), and Import that footage into that. You will still get black bars, and you can live with those, or you can do a treatment, as is outlined in this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2471303#2471303 Basically you would create a PiP (Picture in Picture) of that YouTube footage, with an "abstract background" around it. Even doing that PiP treatment with a gray, or perhaps beige Color Matte, will be more pleasing than the black bars.

Or, you can follow the same workflow, but then Scale UP the YouTube footage to fill the Frame Size. Note: when Scaling, and especially with Scaling UP, the quality will deteriorate. How much depends on the degree of Up Scaling. As you are starting with YouTube footage, to begin with, it probably isn't the highest quality to begin with, but only you will be able to tell if the quality loss is too great.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: video does not cover whole screen
                eiknachui Level 1

thank you for these tips, Bill.

i managed to find a preset with the frame size of 640x480 (NTSC, editing mode: DSLR) and it greatly reduced the width of those black bars.

• 5. Re: video does not cover whole screen
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Great. As that Preset has a PAR=1.0 (square pixels), that should also match the YouTube footage even more closely, than my suggestion - had not thought about that one. Good find!

Good luck,

Hunt