13 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2014 1:38 PM by jbowden

SEO in EDGE

webcoderdesigner

Hey there,

Is there a way for SEO our edge website for google ?

• 1. Re: SEO in EDGE
          webcoderdesigner Level 1

any help?

• 2. Re: SEO in EDGE
            j.zonneveld

I'm intreseted too! I've got a dutch website with manuals how to delete your social media account and want to add some annimations with Edge Animate.

I'm very busy with SEO optimalistation at this moment, so i'm very intrested if the animation is good for the SEO.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: SEO in EDGE
              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, webcoderdesigner-

The "publish for static HTML" selection in the Publish Settings dialog will allow Google to crawl through the text for searchability.

publish-settings.png

-Elaine

• 4. Re: SEO in EDGE
                Joel Bondoux Level 1

Hi Elaine,

When I publish "as static HTML" I was expecting the HTML to have a series of div tags with all the text listed for SEO purposes.  However, my animation, when published, does no such thing.  All my text in Edge is defined as h or p tags and they are all within symbols.  Might that be the reason I am not geting the extra markup in the final code?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: SEO in EDGE
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Louis,

LouisBee.com wrote:

When I publish "as static HTML" I was expecting the HTML to have a series of div tags with all the text listed for SEO purposes.  However, my animation, when published, does no such thing.  All my text in Edge is defined as h or p tags and they are all within symbols.  Might that be the reason I am not geting the extra markup in the final code?

Not sure I understand the problem...did you change all your text divs to h and p tags in EA? And then you published to web with "Publish content as static HTML" checked, and it published to static HTML, and you were expecting it to publish your text as divs?

Or did you not change your text divs to heading and paragraph elements at all, but that's how they got published? Please clarify.

Thanks,

Joe

• 6. Re: SEO in EDGE
                    Joel Bondoux Level 1

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response.

In EA I have classified the text boxes as h and p tags instead of divs.  What I was expecting to see in the final publised code after selecting the 'static' option was for a series of div tags to be created in the html document that basically provides the text for spiders to read.  As per this example: http://blog.terrenceryan.com/accessibility-in-adobe-edge-animate/

Instead I just get

<body style="margin:0;padding:0;height:100%;">

<div id="Stage" class="BP-Edge-001">

<div id="Stage_adaptiveContainer" class="edgeLoad-BP-Edge-001"></div>

</div>

</body>

And that's it...

I am using symbols and all the text in my animation is contained within symbols, but should that cause a problem?

Thanks for your help!

• 7. Re: SEO in EDGE
                      jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Louis,

Yeah, that should work. Of course, you'll have h and p tags, not div (EA text defaults to div, but if you change the tag, that's the one that will be written to the HTML file).

Are you doing anything special with your symbols, such as loading them as a child symbol using Javascript? If your symbols are on the Stage when you publish, then everything should write out correctly. Is your text deeply nested within several symbols, perhaps?

To really get to the bottom of it, I'd like to take a look at one of your projects that's failing. Could you PM a link to a zipped project file? You can host zip files on your Creative Cloud account page or use Dropbox or another service where you can host a zip file.

Send me a link, and I'll take a look.

Thanks,

Joe

• 8. Re: SEO in EDGE
                        shadowfax007 Level 1

Are you "publishing to HTML" and then uploading the "publish/web" folder contents instead of the content you were working on?  When you use "Publish to HTML", Edge creates a folder structure like this inside your root (work) folder: "Publish/Web/your content here".

What you show above is what happens when "Publish to HTML" is NOT chosen.

Also, here's a trick that should help a lot of people that may not already know about it -

When you get the "HTML" code problem resolved, you can then go into the HTML code and change the markup however you want for SEO purposes.  It seems Edge does not use this code, it is just there for SEO purposes.  I've tested this by going into the HTML code and changing the DIV tags to various HTML tags:

<header></header>

<section></section>

<article></article>

etc...

NOTE:  I didn't just "wrap" the DIV tags with the HTML tags, I actually changed the DIV tags!

Hope that helps!

James

• 9. Re: SEO in EDGE
                          webcoderdesigner Level 1

so, can i add meta tags and names to my html file after publishing in edge with a notepad or dreamweaver?

• 10. Re: SEO in EDGE
                            shadowfax007 Level 1

webcodedesigner-

As far as I can tell, yes you can :-)

Of course, always test before deploying!

James

• 11. Re: SEO in EDGE
                              satanzhand Level 1

I edited my published site in dreamweaver and notepad++ and it worked fine...that was until the client wanted a few little changes and EA wouldn't load the new SEO laden pages! I then ended up copying out the SEO into note pad and then I could load it fine...a real pain in the butt though

• 12. Re: SEO in EDGE
                                Xoco Level 3

With the latest version of Edge (3.0) is still the best practice to edit index.html or is there a better one?

• 13. Re: SEO in EDGE
                                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Um…when it comes to SEO support in Animate, we advise checking "Publish content as static HTML" in the Web section of the Publish Settings. (see discussion above)

hth,

Joe