3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2013 10:58 AM by JEShort01

Quad core or Hex core for Premiere pro

Aidan CH

I am about to take the plunge and upgrade my aging edit PC

Having read some very useful posts on what to get at various budgets but I am still left with a few questions.

I edit mainly AVCHD footage on CS5 and compress to h264 for vimeo or intanet, I have a GoPro 3 but this is rearly used for anything serious but I do intend to upgrade to CS6 in the future.

Do I need a hexcore if I am not burning Blu-ray discs and am unlikely to edit 4k in the near future?

If I buy a quad core machine will I have a dramatic increase in rendering and compression time over the hex core?

The quad core will save more than the cost of a Matrox MXO2 Mini MAX if I do need h264 accelaration but this may still not be as fast, has anyone had experience of the Matrox compared to a hex core machine?

The specs only give a guide and practical experience available on this forum seems the best advice.

I look forward to your replies

Aidan

• 1. Re: Quad core or Hex core for Premiere pro
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

[moved to hardware forum]

• 2. Re: Quad core or Hex core for Premiere pro
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The absolute best quad core system, an i7-2600K overclocked to 5.0 GHz, 32 GB memory and two Samsung 840 Pro SSD's in raid0 for project disk with a GTX 680 comes out at rank # 20 for CS6, in the upper quartile range so it belongs to the top 25% of observations. Everything faster is only hexa-cores.

Everything with a Matrox MXO2 comes out way slower, especially on export to disk, even with hexa-cores. That is a Matrox anomaly.  Matrox just slows down a system in comparison to a system without Matrox.

Take a look at the PPBM5 Benchmark and the PPBM6 Results. Note that you must register and login to access the Results Table.

• 3. Re: Quad core or Hex core for Premiere pro
              JEShort01 Level 4

Aidan,

I'd say it depends on your price point. Premiere Pro gets great performance by taxing much of a system including cpu, gpu, drives, bus (motherboard), and memory.

If you are wanting to build a desktop system yourself for under $1700, then I'd say Z77 4-core would be excellent. You can edit AVCHD for sure, but you would be more limited for complex projects.

If you are willing to spend more, the x79 chipset and i7-3930k 6-core is an excellent way to go.

Search around this site for awhile and you will find various build lists with lots of passionate comments on component selection for a wide variety of price points.

Regards,

Jim