3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2013 1:56 PM by Rick Gerard

What is this effect?

XTheHacker2000X2

First of all, I'm Italian, so excuse me for my bad English

I've seen many videos on YouTube that make this effect, I list two:

1. From 2:12 to 2:25 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDgBUwhUAVE

2. In almost all the scenes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MokNvbiRqCM

In the first video there are lines (such as privacy)

In the second video there is a grid effect (pixel stuff) that looks very good

what effects are they?

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: What is this effect?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Scanlines, Bad TV, TV Pixel. There's all sorts of techniques and plug-ins for each one of them. Search the web for tutorials. There must be hundreds of them.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is this effect?
            SonicN2O Level 1

Twitch by Video Copilot (http://www.videocopilot.net) is a great plugin for that sort of thing. Combine it with some of the Animation Presets that come with AE, and you're all set!

• 3. Re: What is this effect?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In most cases these are not a single effect but a combination of more than one. You can recreate almost all of these effects without buying a 3rd party solution. 3rd party effects may be able to accomplish the task in much less time, but there's nothing seen in either video that cannot be reproduced by stacking up copies of your footage and applying AE's standard filters.

Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 1.22.23 PM.png

Start with a dark gray solid above your video track, apply Effect>Transition>Venetian Blinds with Transition complete 50%, angle 90, width 4 and feather 0. Set the blend mode to Multiply. Adjust transparency. Add other effects to your video clip to adjust the color grading, then maybe pre-compose the entire thing, duplicate the pre-comp, blur the pre comp a few pixels and set the blend mode to Add or Screen.

Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 1.23.31 PM.png

Start with a blue-green solid above your video track. Add Effect>Simulate>CC Ball Action and set Grid Spacing to about 1 and Ball Size to about 60. Change the blend mode to color. Then play around with the same color effects you tried in the first clip.

Also try some of the effects presets. Search the Effects and Presets panel for TV

Something like this took about 30 seconds. It's nothing more than a blue-green solid, CC Ball action set as indicated, the two layers pre-composed, then the pre-comp duplicated with the top layer set to Add and a Gaussian Blur of 6 pixels applied. It's good start to a Bad TV effect.

Screen Shot 2013-03-23 at 1.49.32 PM.png

1 person found this helpful