4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2013 4:25 AM by dj_paige

Loading, storing, organizing photos

MTNBIKEBODE

Hi

I just bought a new laptop in July. Got Elements soon after. I have been taking digital photos since 2006. I have over 7,500 photos. I have used all of my online storage.

1. How do I get Photoshop to look at my hard drive for photos?

a. How do I use the online storage as a backup of, say, photo albums?

2. How do I get Elements to stop loading ALL 7500 photos every time I open it?

I'm using DSL, so you can imagine how incredibly SLOW EVERYTHING is in Elements.

I'm still trying to figure out how to organize everything. I stopped using it for a few months becuase I got so frustrated. But now I've scanned in more photos (75) and I have to finish my mom's scrapbook.

I've read parts of Elements for Dummies, but I still don't get it.

I know I have a faster laptop than this.

Thanks!

Anne

• 1. Re: Loading, storing, organizing photos
          dj_paige Level 10

1. PSE always uses your hard drive as the location of your photos (unless they are stored on a CD/DVD), so I'm not sure what you are asking about.

1a. I don't know

2. Elements does not load all 7500 of your photos when it opens. In fact, it doesn't load even one photo when it opens. So I'm not sure what you are trying to ask about.

I'm still trying to figure out how to organize everything

Simple. Assign the appropriate tags to your photos, and optionally captions and notes.

• 2. Re: Loading, storing, organizing photos
            MTNBIKEBODE Level 1

So, is it best to MOVE photos to an album to get them out of the "My Catalog"? My Catalog is the default catalog and that's what has over 7500 photos and works slowly. BTW, I did optimize the catalog and things have improved but it still is a little slow. Can't help but think it's because of the large number of photos.

do you tag them before moving or after? or does it not matter?

I noticed (by accident) that when I edited a photo in a photo album, the "My Catalog" photo did not update.

btw, I'm using Elements 10. (11 came out about a month or two after I bought my version, and I haven't upgraded yet.)

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Loading, storing, organizing photos
              swharton07 Level 2

The catalog is a small file(7500 phots is not much) and works well and generally efficiently. You need to think of the catalog as a catalog at the library. There are thumbnails in the catalog that point to where your pictures are(the book stacks in the library). Until you want to look at the picture you will only be seeing the thumbnail(this is a simple explanation). Most people keep their pictures on their hard drive and use either an EHD or online storage for backup.

Question:

Where is your catalog? Go the Help/System Info and let us know. It should be on you C drive or an EHD.

To get your pictures from the online storage to your computer they will all need to be moved. The simplest way would be to do a backup/restore from PSE. As an aside, you should do backups on a regular basis from PSE as this will copy the catalog and the pictures associated with the catalog to you backup drive.

• 4. Re: Loading, storing, organizing photos
                dj_paige Level 10

So, is it best to MOVE photos to an album to get them out of the "My Catalog"?

Adding (not moving) a photo to an album does NOT get them out of your catalog. The photo is not moved in any way when you do this. And I don't think anyone said this is the best thing to do.

My Catalog is the default catalog and that's what has over 7500 photos and works slowly. BTW, I did optimize the catalog and things have improved but it still is a little slow. Can't help but think it's because of the large number of photos.

You might want to try optimizing it a 2nd time. There are many reasons for catalog slowness, 7500 photos is NOT one of those reasons. Please tell us your system configuration (be sure to let us know how much memory you have and how much free disk space you have on your internal drive. How old is your computer?

do you tag them before moving or after? or does it not matter?

It doesn't matter

I noticed (by accident) that when I edited a photo in a photo album, the "My Catalog" photo did not update.

Did you send the photo from the Organizer to Editor, or did you simply open it into the Editor from your hard disk? Did you do a "Save As..." or a "Save"?