3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2013 6:16 PM by fotoMojoRon

Crop/Marquee to new project

fotoMojoRon

Using CS4 PS extened.

I am editing old pictures. To save time I am scanning four pictures at a time. I'm using the marquee tool to crop each picture into their own layer via right click method and choosing "Layer via copy." After I'm done doing this for all four pictures, I have to hide all but one layer, trim the project to the picture size, save it. Then I undo the trim, and start over for the next picture to save. Is there any easier way to save each cropped section as their own picture/project at the size of their crop without effecting the other pictures? Was wondering if there was a way to crop the portions I want out but instead of copy to layer method, I could just create a new project with that cropped picture?

• 1. Re: Crop/Marquee to new project
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Check the File - Automate - Crop and Straighten Photos feature.  It might help you automate that operation.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/crop-straighten/

-Noel

• 2. Re: Crop/Marquee to new project
            conroy Level 5

Irishlad67 wrote:

Was wondering if there was a way to crop the portions I want out but instead of copy to layer method, I could just create a new project with that cropped picture?Was wondering if there was a way to crop the portions I want out but instead of copy to layer method, I could just create a new project with that cropped picture?

Make your selection

Edit > Copy (Cmd+C)

File > New (Cmd+N)

Edit > Paste (Cmd+V)

In the New step, the dialog will automatically use the "Clipboard" preset so, at least on a Mac, the resolution, bit-depth and colour profile will match that of the source doc.

You can record an Action of the Copy, New and Paste steps. Optionally give it a Fn key shortcut. The Action should look like this screenshot:

Screen shot 2013-03-24 at 12.33.24.png

------

Edit: Noel's solution is probably best for your situation. You can use my solution as a general purpose "copy to new doc".

• 3. Re: Crop/Marquee to new project
              fotoMojoRon Level 1

Thanks Noel and Conroy for the tips. I found Conroy's tip quicker and definatley more accurate as I get to control the crop. The automate crop was very fast and I was impressed with the speed and accuracy, however, like most things automated, it wasn't perfect each time I tried it. I must be honest, it cropped the pics very well. My problem is I'm archiving old polaroid one steps with the white frames with the thicker frame at the bottom that have hand written notes. This is the area where the automate seemed to run into issues. I'll have to try some regular pics and see what results I get. But thanx again for the help, it is much appreciated, especially when you get more than one idea to resolve an issue.