9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 4:56 PM by Qubed Studios

Director IOS developing out of time soon

Wolfgang Herold Level 2

Apple announced that, starting on 1. Mai, they will only accept IOS Apps supporting all native resolutions of IOS devices.

So apps must support Retina on iPads and also native iPhone 5 resolution.

Director does not!!

Hurry up, if you are developing IOS Apps with Director.

Or wait for the next update, the typical masochistic hobby of Director developers.

Wolf

• 1. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
          Urban1977 Level 1

This is what the OP is referencing:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG /TranslateApp/TranslateApp.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH10-SW8

Solution would be to resize the director stage based on the resolution of the device for iPhone 4S and earlier (320 x 480) for iPhone 5 (320 x 656) and iPad screen size is still 1024 x 768:

on prepareMovie

(the stage).rect = the desktopRectList[1]

• 2. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
            Wolfgang Herold Level 2

Thanks Urban.

I know the functionality of scaling . I use it since Director MX for public displays.

That works for now, but i wrote that Apple announced to NOT accept apps, that are not nativ, that means 2048 x 1536 for iPad 3/4.

And Director currently does not support this resolution  NATIV!!!! in ios development.

• 3. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
              Urban1977 Level 1

An APP will run at 1024 x 768 and this is the size that you should publish at.   The only difference comes when you are publishing between iPhone 4 & 5  and by scaling the size of your APP on load it should fix the problem.

If you read between the lines all Apple are saying is that when you publish for iOS make sure you are compaitble across the board with the device you are targeting e.g.  iPad 1/2/3/4  = 1024 x 768   and iPhone 3/4/5  320 x 480 (+176).

Table 1-1 lists the screen dimensions (measured in points) for different types of iOS-based devices in a portrait orientation. The width dimension is listed first, followed by the height dimension of the screen. As long as you design your interface to these screen sizes, your views will display correctly on the corresponding type of device.

Device

Screen dimensions (in points)

iPhone and iPod touch

320 x 480

iPad

768 x 1024

• 4. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
                MrSkyRider

I have called Apple support and ask them about this, and the answer I got is that the app must run native resolution. So you can't run half resolution.

You also need to have a launch image. And I added the correct images, but when I added the one for iPhone5, it was rejected.

"Invalid Launch Image - Your app contains a launch image with a size modifier that is only supported for apps built with the iOS 6.0 SDK or later."

So even if they let you run half resolution, you couldn't add the correct launch image....

• 5. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
                  Wolfgang Herold Level 2

so i said.

Urban seems to not understand NATIV.

My message was only a warning and no question.

thanks Urban, but I do not need any mathematical support, as i am a professional since more than 20 years.

PS: Hotfix1 for D12 is out. I had no time to test it. Hopefully with some changes in IOS support. 

Wolf

• 6. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
                    MrSkyRider Level 1

May I ask where one can find it? I can't find it.....

• 7. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
                      Qubed Studios

I got the Hotfix 1 via an Adobe updater that suddenly popped up in my menu bar. The only info I could get is that it enables to publish iOS apps to the AppStore (in 12.0 trying to do so would bring up a dialog explaining that you needed to enable additional feature and redirected you to the EULA).

Unsurprisingly there's nothing about the hotfix on Adobe's Director support site, their link to "Release notes" is a PDF for Director 11 hotfix 3!!

I did not verify if they added retina support but I suspect they did not.

MrSkyRider did you edit the info.plist in the otto.app bundle to add the iPhone 5 launch image?

I'm pretty sure that the launch image will not be a problem since it's dealt with using the info.plist which we can edit. Retina support on the other end...we'll have to wait, in the dark... as usual.

• 8. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
                        MrSkyRider Level 1

Hmm, I when I select updates in the menu, it doesn't popup even, strange ...

In the info.plist I only have

UILaunchImageFile~ipad

UILaunchImageFile~iphone

And to enable for iPhone5 you add a image with the same name, but with "-568h@2x" at the end.

But as I say when adding this image, it gets rejected when submitting.

But I noticed a tag named "DTSDKName" set to "iphoneos5.0", I was going to test setting this to "iphoneos6.0", but as I have a update in the pipeline I don't want to start messing with this right now.

When the update been through  review I'll test uploading a new update to test this, if you don't beat me to it

• 9. Re: Director IOS developing out of time soon
                          Qubed Studios Level 1

I did not get the update from Director itself, I don't think it was even running when the icon appeared in the menubar. I think it was the generick Adobe updater.

As for the info.plist thing, don't get my word for it, as I did not really experiment with it and I'm not familiar with all the details of the AppStore publishing yet (I have my Apple Dev ID since about a week and never published anything). But my understanding is that it's the info.plist determines if and where there's a launch image, not the app code.

You'll probably beat me to it because I don't have anything quite ready to submit yet