11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 12:53 PM by the_wine_snob

Project settings question

P1965 Level 1

As said in the turorial about 'forcing project settings' the default works 95% of the time and so been building a project over several days using default settings, constantly adding new media, effects, etc with no problem dozens of times. 

Why now, when adding media they are huge on the timeline and I haven't changed any settings?  Have to resize in the edit mode to fit the preview window in the project screen. 

(been using same source for 100's of media, both stills and video and sound)

• 1. Re: Project settings question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. listed in Edit>Project Settings>General?

What are the specs. of the Imported Video files?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Project settings question
            whsprague Level 4

P1965 wrote:

.....when adding media they are huge on the timeline and I haven't changed any settings? 

I don't understand what you are explaining.

• 3. Re: Project settings question
              P1965 Level 1

Settings are (assume default) at 720 x 480.  Never changed these and had fine results with all media..   Source video is iPhone .mov - 1920 x 1080.

For a visual explaination, how do I post a pic of the window?  Ie: by (ctrl prnt screen)

• 4. Re: Project settings question
                P1965 Level 1

To whsprague:  Pics and video used fit the project view screen fine, now they are magnified.

• 5. Re: Project settings question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

So you are putting 1920 x 1080 material into a 720 x 480 Project, but it's not changing, with the first Clip?

One issue with iPhone footage is that much is a variable FPS, which PrE cannot handle. I wonder if it is missing other flags on the Frame Size too?

Hunt

• 6. Re: Project settings question
                    P1965 Level 1

All videos from iphone source, imported to date have merged or resized to fit so far, and all have great end results.  Of course they appear in letterbox style, but that's fine for my usage and chose this as the 4 x 3 stills would be stretched if 6 x 9 aspect set for vid.  Just all of a sudden, pics and vids are not resizing.

• 7. Re: Project settings question
                      P1965 Level 1

Is there a way to 'force project settings' in existing projects?

• 8. Re: Project settings question
                        whsprague Level 4

P1965 wrote:

For a visual explaination, how do I post a pic of the window?  Ie: by (ctrl prnt screen)

In the Accessories menu in Windows 7 there is the "Snipping Tool" for that.  Another more cumbersome way is to press Print Screen that puts a copy on the clipboard.  You can open Word, paste in the clip board contents, select the picture and right click for "Save as picture..." for a .jpg. 

With either you have a picture saved on your disk and you selct the camera icon at the top of the box you type in.

• 9. Re: Project settings question
                          whsprague Level 4

P1965 wrote:

Is there a way to 'force project settings' in existing projects?

Only at the start of a new project.  Not after it is underway.

• 10. Re: Project settings question
                            P1965 Level 1

Haven't got a solution to this as yet, but in another posted topic: Is there a way to clear presets in PrE11 -  I found the answer below relating to the input settings.

I have created other new projects and changed these settings, so is this then the reason for the problems with the file size, as stated in this post?

If so, what were (are) the settings that PrE11 chooses for a default?

POSTED TOPIC:  Is there a way to clear presets in PrE11

In this image, I chose New Project from the Welcome Screen, and the last Project Preset Opened, I went to File>New>Project, and from the dialog box, chose Change Settings, which brought up the Project Settings dialog, seen here:

PrE11_New_Project.png

Once one has chosen a Project Setting, that becomes the Default, until it is changed. If one works with the same type of footage, this is a time-saver, as when New Project is chosen from the Welcome Screen, nothing needs to be changed.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Project settings question
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

From my observations, the "default" appears to be the last Project Setting used, so if one has been doing AVCHD Project, and then they have an HDV Project, the change would be necessary, from AVCHD to HDV, unless the user allows PrE 11 to pick the Project Settings, based on the Clips.

In many Adobe programs, such settings are sticky, in that until changed in some way, the attributes will appear from the last use of that dialog box - like the Character Palette in Photoshop. Whatever font and size was used last, will appear when one goes to the Character Palette the next time.

Now, there are some exceptions, such as Premiere's Titler, which DOES have a default font and size. There are also a few situations, where one can manually set a default, like Transitions.

Good luck,

Hunt