7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 2:19 AM by Rick Gerard

How to make this text effect?

Eugene Tametty

• 1. Re: How to make this text effect?
          Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

Looks to me like a little bit of masking, positioning and opacity?

Place the text where you want it, set keyframes for start and end positions, some rotation if desired. Set the keyframes for start and end opacity and create your masks for the reveal.

Pierre

Oh yes, dont underestimate the value of the built in Text-animations under the "Animations", "Browse Presets" "Text" menu.

Pierre

• 2. Re: How to make this text effect?
            Matt Dubuque Level 1

Hi Eugene,

Starting at 11:04, this Adobe TV tutorial tells you how to do this.

You might consider the wisdom of watching the entire series of seven videos.  It's quite good.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/classroom-after-effects-cs5/episode-6/

• 3. Re: How to make this text effect?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Let's analyze this part of the text effect:

Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 5.58.36 AM.png

You have a line, some text rising from behind the line and then a smaller line of text below the line. That's three elements in the graphic so it would be best to start with 3 layers. One for the line, one for the smaller text on the bottom and one for the name.

Animating the position of the name from below the line to above the line is not hard. Hiding the text wile it is below the line can be done with a mask or a track matte. A track matte might be the easiest way to go.

The entire text block also fades up and scales up a bit at the start. You can easily handle this with a null. It is also used more than once in the project so it would probably be best to build a template in a separate comp so you just have one element in your final project to deal with.

Now that the analysis is complete it's time to build the template. I'll time the process: 5 minutes.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: How to make this text effect?
                Pierre Devereux Level 2

Ok,

so THAT was a lot more helpful than my answer!

Thanks for the step by step - I am going to remember this one....

Pierre

• 6. Re: How to make this text effect?
                  Eugene Tametty Level 1

WOW! It' awesome! THANKs for your attention!

• 7. Re: How to make this text effect?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Glad I could help. The best way to figure out how to do something you've seen in a shot is to carefully break down the shot and try and figure out what the elements are that make it up. The best way to try and figure out how to do something nobody has ever seen is to take a pencil and start sketching something out. As soon as you get a plan, start stitching together the simplest ideas you can to make it work.

An 777 is nothing more than a bunch of sheet metal held together with very small aluminum rivits. Were it not for a small soft piece of aluminum, the most common metal on the planet, we would have no amazing flying machines. Learning how to see and understand what is right in front of you is the key to figuring out how to build it for yourself.

http://apex-inc.biz/MS20470AD.JPG