4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 7:44 AM by Carl Sun

How can I deploy a standardized set of CS6 extensions to all users?

alt_2600 Level 1

Is there a single file or set of files I can distribute to all users which will give them a standardized set of CS6 extensions?  I have over 100 users using InCopy CS6 and InDesign CS6 and want to make sure they all have the same extension configuration.

• 1. Re: How can I deploy a standardized set of CS6 extensions to all users?
          Carl Sun Level 4

If "standardized set" means pre-defined set ("All Extensions", "Adobe Extensions" and "Required Extensions"), you can't export them, also you don't have to export them. These sets are different from user defined sets in that they are based on rule instead of individual configuration. All installed extensions will be enabled if the active set is "All Extensions". Only Adobe extensions will be enabled if the active set is "Adobe Extensions". Only required extensions will be enabled if the active set is "Required Extensions". So they will be the same for all users. The "Customized Set" is for users who don't care set at all. It always corresponds to the current configuration whatever how you change extension state. So it's unnecessary to export "Customized Set". For all sets you created yourself, you can export them as an XML file and let your users import it.

• 2. Re: How can I deploy a standardized set of CS6 extensions to all users?
            alt_2600 Level 1

Perhaps I should have explained myself more clearly.  I want to be able to define an extension set (with a mix of Adobe and 3rd party extensions) and distribute that set to all of my users - without them having to take any steps to import the set, make it active, etc.  I'd like to be able to just have them log in and have the extension set I have distributed to them.  I've tried exporting a set, distributing it to a test workstation, then importing it via a script (as defined in "Adobe Extension Manager help and tutorials") but the import step doesn't seem to work.  No error, it just doesn't import the set.

So I was wondering - can I package up my extension manager files ("/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Extension Manager CS6" and "/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe.ExMan") and deploy those to users?

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to deliver the extension set I define to over 100 users without user interaction.  Is there a way?

Bob Reed

AARP

• 3. Re: How can I deploy a standardized set of CS6 extensions to all users?
              Carl Sun Level 4

You can't package the two folders you mentioned and deploy those to users. It will not work.

I think it's impossible for users to import set without taking any steps. "Create set, export set, import set" is the right way. It's strange that importing doesn't work without error message. Please follow http://forums.adobe.com/message/4275082#4275082 to generate log files so as to help troubleshooting.

• 4. Re: How can I deploy a standardized set of CS6 extensions to all users?
                Carl Sun Level 4

If all ID extensions installed in user machine specify plugin-manager-type="all-users" or plugin-manager-type="current-user" in mxi files, a workaround is to copy "C:\Users\<YourUserName>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version 8.0\<Locale>\PlugInConfig.txt" or "/Users/<YourUserName>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Indesign/Version 8.0/<Locale>/PlugInConfig.txt" to the corresponding location of users' machines. But this way have some constraints and drawbacks.

1. All users should install the same extensions.

2. All users have to install ID/IC in the same location (e.g. the default location).

3. This way will change the actual state of extensions while bypassing Extension Manager. So Extension Manager can't show the correct extension state anymore.