4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 2:16 PM by Media747

Most important Drive

Media747

Following the generic guideline for disk usage, I have my drives set up as:

C: OS, Programs

D: Media, Projects

E: Pagefile, Media Cache

F: Previews, Exports

My C drive is an mSATA SSD (256GB Crucial M4), and the other drives are just 7200RPM drives. So I now have some Samsung 512GB SSDs (one 830 and one 840 Pro) and am planning on keeping only one of them. Would the 830 be better than the 840 Pro (I saw that it is better in some write speed benchmarks... not sure!) ?

And out of the D, E, and F drives, which one would benefit the most for swapping out to the Samsung SSD.

• 1. Re: Most important Drive
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The 840 Pro is the better one, although the performance difference is small compared to the 830.  The E: drive would be my choice to put the SSD to work.

Have you considered keeping the 830 for previews only, adding another volume to your system and raiding D: with one of the conventional disks you are replacing?

• 2. Re: Most important Drive
            Media747 Level 1

I'm actually working from a laptop, so 4 drives (with 1 being the mSATA slot) is the max I can do. I have considered setting up a RAID / keeping the 830 though, but I think I'm just content with just replacing a single drive and not setting up a RAID just yet.

• 3. Re: Most important Drive
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I have never seen a laptop with three eSATA ports to accomodate all these external disks. Care to give some more details? Like connections used, any partitions (heaven forbid) in use, anything other relevant?

• 4. Re: Most important Drive
                Media747 Level 1

Sure. I'm using a Dell Precision M6600. It has 2 HDD slots and I removed the DVD drive and replaced it with an HDD caddy for the third slot (and of course it has an mSATA slot for the mSATA SSD). Everything is internal and no partitions of course.

I could technically have more disks I guess with the (1) eSATA or (2) USB 3.0 ports, but I didn't want to have to attach externals.