3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 2:32 PM by PieterseHc

Two indesign files, replacing textframe content

PieterseHc

Hi, I want to move content from a textframe, in one indesign document to a similar textframe in another indesign document. The basic reason for this is, the master document has translated text which needs to be imported or replaced to the new master document at or in the same texframes. Can this be scripted and automated ?.

• 1. Re: Two indesign files, replacing textframe content
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Moved to the scripting forum...

• 2. Re: Two indesign files, replacing textframe content
            MrTIFF Level 3

So, presumably you do not want to just duplicate the whole document?

How would the script know which text to copy into the new document?

How would the script know exactly where to insert or replace the text into the new document?

• 3. Re: Two indesign files, replacing textframe content
              PieterseHc Level 1

Hi, duplicating the document cannot be done, as small alterations has been made to the new master.

Let say that the original master is in one langauge, the new master has been altered slighty to accomodate reading for impaired sighted persons and also needs to be in a new langauge.

I have taken a look at COPYFLOWGOLD, which does the translation almost exact but is not the translation provided by our translators. I have no Idea how to do this or where to start.

The purpose is to take the data or content stream (Translated) from the orignal "small" texted master and import it into the "Big" texted master. Going about manually copying and pasting is tedious but does get it done. I am just wondering how to approach scripting this type of action.

There has got to be a way of naming each texframe and then import the textframes or either populate the named textframes in the new "big" master, from the "small" master.

I sure hope that some expert can advise on this type of scripting.

Regards