5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 9:48 AM by claudio_pais

doc.AllGraphics crash in C#.

AdobeInDesignScriptKiddie

InDesign.Document doc = (InDesign.Document)app.Open(PathToInDesignFile, true); // works fine

InDesign.Graphics allGraphics = (InDesign.Graphics)doc.AllGraphics; // crashes with an exception

That's the exception:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'InDesign.Graphics'.

This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{C85A4AB§-9492-...}' failed due to the following error:

No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE)).

How to solve this problem?

• 1. Re: doc.AllGraphics crash in C#.
          MrTIFF Level 3

Well, I'm a JavaScript guy, but the object reference says that Document.allGraphics returns an Array, not a 'Graphics' object.

• 2. Re: doc.AllGraphics crash in C#.
            AdobeInDesignScriptKiddie Level 1

I've rewritten the Code to make it more clearly. The code now uses Graphic instead Graphics.

Basically I get the same Exception, as I get:

"Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'InDesign.Graphic'...

Previously I got:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'InDesign.Graphics'.

int iCount = doc.AllGraphics.Count; // iCount is 1

for (int i = 1; i <= doc.AllGraphics.Count; i++) // works

{

InDesign.Graphic graphic = (InDesign.Graphic)doc.AllGraphics[i]; // crash! Exception!

}

So, anyone any ideas how to solve the problem?

• 3. Re: doc.AllGraphics crash in C#.
              MrTIFF Level 3

Well, aren't Arrays zero-based in C#?

And you shouldn't need the cast at all.

And I think Length is more standard than Count for the size of an Array ...

• 4. Re: doc.AllGraphics crash in C#.
                AdobeInDesignScriptKiddie Level 1

> And you shouldn't need the cast at all.

I guess in the context of official InDesign scripting (Javascript, VBScript, Applescript) you are right.

But I use ".Net C#" an the com-InDesign-Lib, so if I don't cast, then "doc.AllGraphics[i]" is just an object, and you could only use the following 4 methods:

doc.AllGraphics[i].Equals

doc.AllGraphics[i].GetHashCode

doc.AllGraphics[i].GetType

doc.AllGraphics[i].ToString

> Well, aren't Arrays zero-based in C#?

That's the case in the context of classical NET-Programming.

However in the context of .NET-C# InDesign-Com-Programming, arrays start with the index 1.

If you use zero-based index then the exception "The requested member of the collection does not exist" appears:

int iCount = doc.AllGraphics.Count; // iCount is 1

for (int i = 0; i < doc.AllGraphics.Count; i++)

{            

InDesign.Graphic graphic = (InDesign.Graphic)doc.AllGraphics[i]; // crash! (Value of "i" is "0" when it crashes here) Exception: The requested member of the collection does not exist

}

Arn't there any Net-Programmers getting the same exception "Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'InDesign.Graphics'"?

• 5. Re: doc.AllGraphics crash in C#.
                  claudio_pais

I have the same problem. Did you found any solution?