10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2014 9:08 PM by pdx_photoman RSS

Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

ajsalcedo Community Member

Every few minutes a get a pop up of the Adobe Flash Player Installer asking me if I want to install the latest version.

I have already the latest version.

I have already uninstalled the Flash Player and reinstalled it. I have done this several times using the Windows Control Panel Uninstall Program. I have also used the Adobe uninstaller tool from the Adobe website.

I have already configured Adobre Flash Player to never update.

I have already googled for this, apparently not so uncommon, issue.

Running Windows 7 x64, Internet Explorer 10, Chrome

Thanks,

Antonio

• 1. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

Hi Antonio,

When you go to this page:

http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/swfobject/testsuite_2_2/test_dynamic_multiple.html

Do you see the following (or something similar)?

2013-03-25_16-00-19.png

Can you take a screenshot of the notification dialog that is prompting you to update?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263

Thanks,

Chris

• 2. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Hi Chris,

1. I see

Adobe Flash Player Bobby result.jpg

2. A crop of the screenshot:

Adobe Flash Player Installer.jpg

Before the above:

Adobe Flash Player Installer 0.jpg

Tks,

Antonio

• 3. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Thanks Antonio.  What is the dialog/text/page right before the Flash Player installer dialog that you posted?  Or do you see nothing other than the Flash Player 11.6 Installer appearing automatically every few minutes?

• 4. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Correct, I only see the Flash Player Installer appearing automatically without anything appearing before

• 5. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

This is definitely not normal.  I suspect something on your system is launching this on a regular basis.  Let's see if we can find out what is causing it.

When this dialog appears, can you launch Process Explorer and find the flashplayer*.exe (not sure what the exact name will be) entry in the process list?  Right click on it and go to properties.  From the properties dialog, click the Image tab and look to see what the Parent value is.

• 6. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Hello Chris,

Sorry for the late reply. I only saw the first part of your message days ago. Perhaps it has been edited since.

This problem keeps happening and it is truly a nightmare. I have tried other things including going to the Registry (which I have not altered).

In response to your question:

1. In Windows Task Manager I see

1.a:  InstallFlashPlayer.exe *32 Description: Adobe® Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.6 r602. Location: C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\{513974BF-C40D-4C4D-9367-A59EECC45B2D} and

1.b: FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe *32 (Adobe® Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.6 r602)  C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\ICD7.tmp

This second one, I did not see before. It has appeared after I reinstalled Flash Player at the request of Adobe Acrobat when converting to pdf an email that, apparently, contained Flash.

2. From Process Explorer

2.a. For InstallFlashPlayer.exe: Parent: FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe(5108)

Curent Directory: C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\ICD7.tmp\

Command Line: "C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\{513974BF-C40D-4C4D-9367-A59EECC45B2D}\InstallFlashP layer.exe" -iv 6

Path: C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\{513974BF-C40D-4C4D-9367-A59EECC45B2D}\InstallFlashPl ayer.exe

2.b. For FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe: Parent: iexplore.exe(7292)

Current Directory: C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\ICD7.tmp\

Command Line: C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\ICD7.tmp\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe

Path: C:\Users\Antonio\AppData\Local\Temp\ICD7.tmp\FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe

One clarification: The installer does not show up at regular intervals. Sometimes it shows up every few minutes and sometimes it takes longer to appear.

Thank you very much for your help

• 7. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Do you have to be browsing the internet for the installer to pop up? 

In Process Explorer, do you see a "Parent" field in the Image tab of the processes properties dialog box?  If so, what does it tell us?

Thanks,

Chris

• 8. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up

Internet Explorer does have to be running for the installer to pop up.

I have done my browsing with Chrome for several hours and the installer did not pop up.

I need to use Internet Explorer because I run many programs with it (I don't know of a Chrome wrapper).

As I mentioned above, the parent field is:

For InstallFlashPlayer.exe: Parent: FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe(5108)

For FP_AX_CAB_INSTALLER64.exe: Parent: iexplore.exe(7292)

It does seem that it is caused by the interaction of Internet Explorer with Flash.

I am running IE 10, the same problem happened with IE 9

Thank you.

• 9. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up
                          arejfour

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Visa 32 bit. I had installed 11.3.300.268 and never had a problem. Recently I decided to update to 11.7. Good intstall everything working as it should, but, everytime, the first time, I open up IE9 I get a pop up Windows installer wanting to install FP, eventhough, it's already been installed and working. I tried doing a clean uninstall and reinstall using the FP removal tool and still getting the pop up. I subsequently had to do a system point restore to alleviate the problem. The update function had been disabled.  Anything you can suggest to alleviate the problem with FP and IE9 as described above? Thanks

• 10. Re: Adobe Flash Player Installer keeps popping up
                            pdx_photoman Community Member

I agree. This is exceptionally annoying. On IMac under 10.9 with Safari and Chrome.

Settings undser preferences were that it was to auto update. I am changing to notify me, and if that does not work, will turn the damned thing off.