10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 10:15 AM by Fun Seeker RSS

Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Fun Seeker Community Member

Hi,

I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8 and am using Illustrator CS5.1 via an Adobe subscription. I have repeatedly tried to install several plug-ins made by Astute Graphics (www.astutegraphics.com/). I download the file, double click on the .dmg folder and then double click on the installer icon. The installation process is quick, easy and completely automatic, and each time installation is confirmed "successful". But, the plug-ins' tools are nowhere to be found within Illustrator once I open the program, nor do any files appear in the Plug-ins folder. Just recently I downloaded and installed another company's plug-in without any difficulties, and the corresponding file appears in this same folder.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 1. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1
          Monika Gause MVP

Which one is causing you trouble?

• 2. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Hi Monika,

Thanks for responding to my post.

Honestly, I have tried to install the WidthScribe, SubScribe and ColliderScribe, the latter I purchased, and none of them work. I can't figure it out, the installation seems to go just fine, it even says "successful" when I'm done, but I can't access any of the tools once I launch Illustrator. I always do the install with the program closed. I can't even find any files inside the Plug-ins folder, so I have no idea where the files are going.

A few weeks ago I was able to download and successfully install MeshTormentor, and an icon for that plug-in is inside the Plug-ins folder, but that's it.

Any help would be great, as I'd love to buy WidthScribe but I need to figure this out first.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 3. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1
              Monika Gause MVP

Hello Mark,

Normally the plugin files should be right inside your plugins folder inside the Illustrator program folder.

Do you have different versions of Illustrator on your computer?

Do you run virus protection software? (This often disturbs installation processes)

The tools themselves can be found in the tool panel in Illustrator. ColliderScribe consists of sub-tools under the select tool (black arrow - the icon should have a small triangle on the bottom right).

• 4. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Hi Monika,

Thanks again for taking the time In response to your post,

Normally the plugin files should be right inside your plugins folder inside the Illustrator program folder.

Yeah, but there's nothing there unfortunately. I have even does a search on the computer and only come up with the files inside the dmg disk folder, nothing else. So, if installation was successful where could the files have been installed? I just don't get it, I've even looked in the Photoshop Plug-ins folder and nothing.

Do you have different versions of Illustrator on your computer?

Do you run virus protection software? (This often disturbs installation processes)

No,  I have only this one version installed, and as I mentioned it's an Adobe subscription. Is it possible that because it's a subscription I'm having difficulties? Perhaps I'm limited in some ways because it's not a purchased product.

The tools themselves can be found in the tool panel in Illustrator. ColliderScribe consists of sub-tools under the select tool (black arrow - the icon should have a small triangle on the bottom right).

Yes, this is what they told me as well, but there's no submenu for the select tool. There is a submenu of the white arrow select tool though, but those tools are a part of Illustrator. As well, they mentioned that there would be a submenu under the Illustrator Menu, but there's nothing there either.

It's the most bizarre thing, the installation process is so simple and straightforward. I download the dmg file, double click on it and up appears the install icon, double click that and follow the procedure. I couldn't screw it up even if I wanted to, the process is completely automatic. Something appears to be blocking the installation process, I just have no idea what it could be. I paid for the ColliderScribe plug-in thinking that if I had the key up front it might help, but nothing.

I don't know what to say, I appreciate your time and assistance. I'd really like to purchase a few of the plug-ins, they look wonderful. I just wish I could get them work.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 5. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1
                  Monika Gause MVP

Fun Seeker wrote:

No,  I have only this one version installed, and as I mentioned it's an Adobe subscription. Is it possible that because it's a subscription I'm having difficulties? Perhaps I'm limited in some ways because it's not a purchased product.

you mean the creative cloud subscription? Shouldn't make a difference. I have it as well and the plugins work.

• 6. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Hi Monika,

I don't believe it's the Creative Cloud subscription that I have, but the version before that. I never downloaded the newest version (upgrade) of the subscription, but I don't see how that would effect this as my OS X 10.5.8 operating system and Illustrator  CS5.1 both meet the required specs.

Perhaps I should download the Creative Cloud software.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mark

• 7. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1
                      Monika Gause MVP

Fun Seeker wrote:

Perhaps I should download the Creative Cloud software.

only for this issue it shouldn't make a difference. Illustrator is the same no matter if you bought a download or a boxed version.

Have you already tried the Astute Graphics support?

• 8. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Hi Monika,

Yes I have, they asked me to download the file again but the result is the same. I have asked a friend who also has a Mac and Illustrator to try downloading the file, hopefully I'll hear from him later today or tomorrow. If he doesn't have a problem then for sure it's something on my computer that's inteferring with the installation process.

Do you have several of their plug-ins? They look wonderful.

Regards,

Mark

• 9. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1
                          Monika Gause MVP

Hi Mark,

have you sorted out the problem?

When installing, what does the installer tell you where the files will be installed?

It's listed on this dialog box beside the check mark and you should also be able to change it to the plugin folder by clicking on the button with the "...":

Screen shot 2013-03-29 at 10.30.28.png

In case you're not able to change it to the correct folder you should contact the AG support again.

• 10. Re: Trouble installing third party plug-ins Illustrator CS5.1

Hi Monika,

So funny you should write today, thankfully the issue was resolved with ColliderScribe.

When I go through the installation process I never see the screen image that you have inbedded in your latest post, ever. Nick sent me a copy of the same and it was then I knew something was wrong. In fact, looking at the menu along the left side it would appear as though there are several options/steps that simply don't present themselves when I do an install, i.e., Pluggins Folders, Destination Select and Installation Type,  The process I go through is much simpler, there are only a few menu items to complete. Once I clear the "License" portion I immediately jump to Installation, then I'm done. Not sure why this is.

Anyway, Nick was kind enough to send me the actual plug-in, which I simply dropped into the Plug-ins folder. When launching Illustrator the ColliderScribe dialog box appeared and I entered the key to activate the purchase. So, I'm up and running with CollderScribe, everything looks to be working properly.  I've asked Nick to send me the WidthScribe and SubScribe plug-in files as well, but he may have retired already for the weekend becasue he ddn't return my message. SubScribe is free but I plan to purchase WidthScribe. Hopefully on Monday I'll get those additional files.

Thanks so much for your help, the plug-ins look fantastic. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Astute Graphics was bought out by Adobe, the plug-ins are that good. Adobe would be doing good by purchasing the rights to these plug-ins and making them available for all Illustrator users.  While I'm not too familiar with Illustrator's capabilities I don't see anything they have that compares to what these plug-ins can do. There is real genious at work here!

Kind regards and best of luck.

Mark