14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2014 9:50 AM by mary_ll RSS

Interactive PDF with video

Welshy 2008

Hi,

I hope someone can resolve the issue I'm having.

I've just created an InDesign document that contains video files which when exported as an interactive PDF should appear at 100% in Acrobat, but the video files are set to play in full screen when clicked on. In the media panel I've tried SkinOverPlaySeekFullscreen and SkinOverPlayFullscreen, neither of these are doing what they're supposed to when clicked on in Acrobat. The video files just play in place, no full screen when the full screen icon in the controller is clicked.

Is this a glitch in InDesign or is there something I'm doing wrong? If it is a glitch can this be fixed.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF with video
          Steve Werner CommunityMVP

Even though the Skin name suggests that it can play full screen, it won't play full screen. You have to manually right-click the video and choose the option that has a name like "Multimedia in Full Screen."

As far as I know, that's the only way to do it. It has absolutely nothing to do with InDesign. It's a "feature" of the Flash Player built into Acrobat or Reader.

• 2. Re: Interactive PDF with video
            Welshy 2008 Community Member

But they're all Adobe products, shouldn't they have made sure that this feature works before adding it to the software?

I've right-clicked on the video and can't see an option like you suggest, I've looked through the properties for the video and can't see anything there.

Thanks for your reply though.

• 3. Re: Interactive PDF with video
              Petteri_Paananen Community Member

There´s one way you can make your video to play fullscreen, but I don´t know is it wise to use or not?

You can use legacy video format, like AVI or MPEG, InDesign will give you a compatibility alert when you place it but if you click continue, you will have that file placed. Next step is to export interactive PDF and open it in Acrobat. Then select Video tool and double-click the video, window that opens looks pretty different than one you get with FlashVideos or other newer formats. In Settings tab, click Edit Rendition, go to Playback Location tab in opening window and change Playback Location to FullScreen.

Click OK and save you PDF. Now it should open in FullScreen whenever it´s played (there´s some security setting in Preferences>Multimedia (Legacy) that may influence to fullscreen mode)

legacyvideosettings.jpg

• 4. Re: Interactive PDF with video

I placed an MP4 file. Using the Media panel, I chose "SkinOverPlayFullScreen" controller, and Show Controller on Rollover. I exported as Interactive PDF. When it opened in Acrobat Pro, it did not play full screen. But I clicked it, and began playing. Then I right-clicked on it and it showed this contextual menu:

FullScreen.jpg

Clicking Full Screen Multimedia made it play full screen.

• 5. Re: Interactive PDF with video

Thanks Petteri I'll give this a go and report back.

• 6. Re: Interactive PDF with video

Thanks Steve, the problem is I don't want the user to have to go through that procedure, they won't know to do that and shouldn't have to. I just simply want it play full screen when the video is clicked.

• 7. Re: Interactive PDF with video

With videos which are handled by the Flash Player (MP4, M4V, FLV, etc.) that is apparently the only way to do it. I don't use legacy video formats like AVI or MPEG anymore.

• 8. Re: Interactive PDF with video

It appears that getting the video to play full screen isn't the only problem I now have, we have tried out the interactive PDF on a few machine in the studio and someone on a PC couldn't get the videos to play at all. I'm guessing this is an Acrobat Reader issue where the user hasn't got the latest version installed on their PC. Oh well, guess you can't cater for everyone, will just have to hope everyone else that receives the presentation will!

• 9. Re: Interactive PDF with video

As funny as it may sound, that may be  because they have the latest version of Adobe Reader in their computer, there´s no built-in Flash Player anymore, Reader uses regular Flash Player and that may cause all kinds of troubles with Flash content baked into PDF file.

• 10. Re: Interactive PDF with video

Hi Petteri,

I tried using .avi files in the interactive PDF, and followed the process in Acrobat to set the video to open in full screen. When I clicked on the video I got a security warning which I clicked 'allow', but when the screen went to full screen nothing happened, just a black out until I pressed Escape to go back to the PDF. I think also this method doesn't embed the video file into the PDF.

• 11. Re: Interactive PDF with video

That´s how it often goes with legacy video formats, you probaby have some security setting on which prevents opening to fullscreen.

Video file itself should be embedded to PDF. You can check that by comparing file size of PDF without placed video with one where video has been placed. Difference beteween sizes of those 2 PDFs should be about same as the size of video file.

• 12. Re: Interactive PDF with video

Why can't things work the way they're supposed to? It seems like Adobe may have caused a problem by removing the built-in Flash Player from Adobe Reader, why would they do that? And why do Adobe give us the option in InDesign to make a video go to full screen in an interactive PDF when the fuction doesn't work? Very annoying.

• 13. Re: Interactive PDF with video
                                  BobLevine CommunityMVP

Flash is as close to dead as it can get for this type of purpose.

Bob

• 14. Re: Interactive PDF with video
                                    mary_ll

Thank you!