3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 1:28 PM by George_Johnson

Besides putting password on pdf what else should I be doing?

NWTrillium Level 1

I am selling teaching documents online and just bought XI to be able to put password on pdf to prevent editing and copying.I must allow printing. I have now read that hackers can easily hack the passwords and edit or they can easily print the document, then copy it and easily edit to pass it off as theirs without much effort. I read where you can turn the document into a jpeg and it flattens it and this prevents it from being printed, then copied and easily edited. If you are selling printables online, what is the best approach to limit hackers in stealing content from these? I just locked down all my pdfs with XI password. I now found in a forum this is a joke since hackers can easily break into "secured" pdfs. I am not wanting to be a hacker just want to know best approach from sellers end how to better protect my printables and maybe it won't be an Adobe product. I still use my XI for converting files which is very helpful.Thanks for any insights on this.

• 1. Re: Besides putting password on pdf what else should I be doing?
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's only so much you can do to prevent someone from stealing your work, regardless of the format you provide it in. For digital content, the most difficult to circumvent is DRM (Digital Rights Management), but this is expensive. Adobe's solution is their LiveCycle Rights Management server-based product, but you can find other DRM solutions for PDFs.

Other approaches are to sell only after you have a legally binding agreement with the buyer where they agree not to distribute it, and.personalizing the documents with something that identifies the buyer (e.g., their name in a footer on each page.)  This can be circumvented too, but it may help.

• 2. Re: Besides putting password on pdf what else should I be doing?
            NWTrillium Level 1

This is for a teaching products site that I upload to. So I don't think either of these solutions would work.

So are there any ways that are better in making it more difficult that the average person could do?

Is saving as a jpeg even worth the bother to flatten it besides securing with password with Pro XI?

I just don't want to make super easy for them. I have Jing and Snap shot for making previews one for taking a picture and the other one for bluring for the previews and thumbnails. Photoshop is much to intimidating for me to work with I wouldn't use much of it and overpriced. Not user friendly. Looking for easy programs that would allow me to make it hard for thieves to edit and and sell as their own.

• 3. Re: Besides putting password on pdf what else should I be doing?
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you convert to an image (JPEG), it won't really make a difference. If someone is going to go to the trouble of removing the security then that won't stop them. Even if a simple password could prevent copying, as long as printing is allowed then it is relatively easy to steal the work, as you mentioned earlier.