9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 2:04 PM by Tanyahide RSS

Exporting project to external hard drive

Tanyahide Community Member

I am wanting to export my completed project to external hard drive for viewing on my tv.Project is way too big for dvd.Can someone please help?I am using PE10 on a Mac.

• 1. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive
          the_wine_snob Community Member

I am a PC-only user, so there might be some Mac-things that I will be missing. However, I very often have my entire Project, including the media, Scratch Disks and Exports one a FireWire-800 (IEEE-1394b) external HDD, so that I can migrate the Project between my various computers. Using that equipment, I have never had any issues.

Now, going back to earlier days, I did have issues with Exports to USB 2.0 externals. I was not alone. The connection was just too slow, and the OS would go crazy, when Premiere would be trying to force more bytes across the USB 2.0 link, than the connection could handle. I, and many others, got the dreaded Delayed Write Failure, and in two cases, those killed the external. They had to be given a low-level format, then the OS format (NTSF in my case).

• What problems have you encountered?
          • What is the connection type for your external?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive
            John T Smith MVP

Go to Sharing for Computer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058237 and just set your output to your external... would be my best guess

• 3. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive

Hi Bill

My external is connected via USB2.0 link.

Once my project was ready I " Share" with computer viewing and save the file to my external MPEG4.it took 6 hours to render and save.

Neither of my 2 TVs recognizes my External.The file is on there and I can play them on my Mac.

I really appreciate any advice...

cheers

Tania

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive

John

I have done what you suggested twice now but the tv doesn't recognize the external.

Tania

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

OK, the external is working (hope that the USB 2.0 does not become a problem), the file is on the external and will play on your computer, but not with your TV's. In the instruction manuals for the TV's, are any details given on what types of files, with which specs., they require?

My first guess would be that there is something wrong in the Export/Share settings, and the TV's are just not able to process the files.

Unfortunately, some equipment mfgrs. will just say something like "plays MP4 files," but do not go into more detail than that. There can be all sorts of potential issues, from the Audio included, to the Bit-Rate chosen. If you can track down details on what the TV's WILL play, someone here can probably help you figure out which settings will work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive
                    John T Smith MVP

>tv doesn't recognize the external.

Try with a USB memory stick plugged into the USB port on your TV

• 7. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive

Thanks.Will check it out.

Sent from my iPad

• 8. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive
                        whsprague Community Member

Tanyahide wrote:

Thanks.Will check it out.

Sent from my iPad

Tanya,

If you are still following this, I have something to add.

I have been trying various ways to play top quality HD video on my 3 HD TVs of different brands.  One is seven years old and one is brand new.  Each has a brand matching Blu-Ray player.  Two are supposed to play from USB devices plugged into them. 

Results vary a lot.  Certain files work on one and not the other.

The only univesally successful and easy method has been with the use of a Western Digital "WD TV Live".  It is a small box that is known for and reviewed for it's ablilty to play nearly every known media file in use into an HD TV via an HDMI cord.  It will read from any USB HDD, card reader or memory stick.  It will also stream Netflix and YouTube, but that is not as important.

Bill S

• 9. Re: Exporting project to external hard drive

Thanks.I reformatted external hd and transferred my project to it but hd is still unknown on both units.another 6 hours down the tube.

My project is an Mp4 so don't think that is the issue.Your answer could be my saviour.Thanks

Sent from my iPad