21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2013 1:48 PM by Bob Ward RSS

Editing tiff Files

Bob Ward Community Member

I have downloaded some text files that were in a tiff format.  I opened the files in PSE9 and converted the file to an Adobe RGB color profile so that I could highlight some text in color; the highlighting edit works fine.

However, the editor will not allow me to make adjustments in the light levels to sharpen up the text.  When I adjust the light levels, I see changes in the thumbnail image, but the image in the Editor window will not change.

Is there something about tiff files that are incompatible with PSE9?  I have saved it as psd file and the light level adjustments still will not work.

• 1. Re: Editing tiff Files
          juergen_d Community Member

Are your files in 16 bit mode?  If so, you'd have to change them to 8 bits to be able to use all of Elements' functions.

Juergen

• 2. Re: Editing tiff Files

Juergen,

I could not find any menu tab that gave me the option of 8 or 16 bit mode.

Bob

• 3. Re: Editing tiff Files
              99jon CommunityMVP

Image >> Mode >> 8 Bits/Channel

• 4. Re: Editing tiff Files
                swharton07 Community Member

I use tiff on a regular basis with no problem.

• 5. Re: Editing tiff Files

The 8 bit mode is greyed-out on the image.mode menu, that is why I could not use it.

• 6. Re: Editing tiff Files
                    99jon CommunityMVP

Are you trying to edit an adjustment layer or text layer rather than the background image? If so try:

Layer >> Flatten Image

Then try the lighting adjustment on the flattened image.

• 7. Re: Editing tiff Files

If the 8 bit mode is grayed out it means that the image is already in 8 bit mode.  Otherwise it makes no difference what file format the image is in once it opens in Elements.

I still don't understand exactly what you are trying to do and which tools you are using.  If you have a plain text file in raster format you cannot edit the text itself.  How are you highlighting and / or trying to adjust the light levels? You should be able to manipulate certain areas of the text by selecting them and, for instance, colorize them right on the background layer.

Juergen

• 8. Re: Editing tiff Files

The image I downloaded from an Internet site was a digitized scan (in tiff format) of an old 1790 marriage license.  The writing on the license was a little faded and washed out.  When I have downloaded these types of documents in a jpeg format, I have always been able to to go to Enhance>Adjust Lighting>Levels and manipulate the sliders to darken up the text/writing.  This type of adjustment has always made the text look darker and easier to read.

However, with this tiff file, the Levels sliders have no impact.  As I said previously, the thumbnail image changes (text darkens) as I move the sliders, but the image in the Edit window does not change.  I saved the file to a psd format and it still does not respond to Levels adjustments.

I have been able to "color highlight" certain text by drawing a rectangle around the text, selecting a desired color and then adjusting color opacity on that selection layer.

The background layer just does not respond to Levels adjustments.

Note:  I just opend the original tiff file again and converted it from bitmap to grayscale mode.  When the image is zoomed way out (small size0 in the Edit window, I can see it responding to Levels adjustments, but as soon as I click "OK", the image reverts back to it's original state, i.e., I lose the Levels adjustments that were made.  When I zoom in on the image, the Levels adjustments do not work at all.

• 9. Re: Editing tiff Files

I just opend the original tiff file again and converted it from bitmap to grayscale mode.

Bob,

In order to make the adjustments / edits you are describing your file should be in RGB mode.  If the file is in Bitmap or Grayscale when you first open it in Elements you need to change it to RGB and then do your editing.

Juergen

• 10. Re: Editing tiff Files

The image is in Adobe RGB mode.  I did this right after I coverted from Bitmap to Grayscale.

• 11. Re: Editing tiff Files
                              R_Kelly Community Member

Is this a file anyone might be able to download?

• 12. Re: Editing tiff Files

Well, I tried to upload the file but got the following message:  "The content type of this image is not allowed."

Must be a setting fouled up somewhere that will not allow me to make Level adjustments to the file.  I have tried everything I know.  Do not understand why I can make adjustments on this image while zoomed out, but as soon as I click "OK", they are discarded.

Bob

• 13. Re: Editing tiff Files

Well, I finally found a sequence that allows me to make Light Level adjustments without losing the adjustments the moment I click the "OK" button in PSE9.

I have to first save the original tiff file as a pdf file, then open that pdf file in Adobe Acrobat Pro and save it as a jpeg file.  I then open that jpeg file in PSE9 and make my Light Level adjustments.  I then save it in the same jpeg format and all my adjustments stay with the file.

If I initially save as a jpeg within PSE9, none of the adjustment stick.  So there must be something different going on when I save from tiff to pdf and then to jpeg within Adobe Acrobat.

Bob

• 14. Re: Editing tiff Files
                                    Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Adobe RGB is the color profile, which is not the same as the color mode. You need to go back to image>mode and choose RGB as the basic color mode before you can make your adjustments. The modes relevant to this part are: RGB, Grayscale, Bitmap, Index color. Of those four, it has to be RGB. Assigning sRGB or Adobe RGB will not change a grayscale image into an RGB image.

• 15. Re: Editing tiff Files

Barbara,  I set it to RGB mode and it still does not accept Light Level adjustments.  I can see the adjustments taking effect on the image thumbnail in the Layers panel, i.e., the text in that small image will darken, but nothing happens to the image in the Edit window.

As stated above, the only way I can get Light Level adjustments to work is to cycle the tiff image through Adobe Acrobat as a pdf and then convert to jpeg before opening in PSE9.

• 16. Re: Editing tiff Files
                                        Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Don't convert to pdf. Try using irfanview to open and resave it, or Preview if you have a mac. Converting to PDF does undesirable things to image formats.

If the image was originally a real bitmap as adobe uses the term, i.e. an image with no shades of gray (as opposed to just a .bmp image), it may be that the adjustments won't hold because there are no shades of gray, nothing but pure black and white, so nothing to lighten or darken.

• 17. Re: Editing tiff Files

Yes, the tiff image did open as a bitmap when I first opened it in PSE9.  I also noticed that the little histogram graph that normally appears when you open the Lighting>Levels adjustmet menu was blank.  So I guess that means there were no shades of gray present to adjust?  This may be the problem.

So will using your suggestion of "irfanview" be the work-around to create shades of gray?

• 18. Re: Editing tiff Files
                                            Barbara B. CommunityMVP

Well, maybe. If there was anything in the original file, but if the creator set it to bitmap color mode, no, changing the format doesn't really add anything that wasn't there before. It's likely the creator of the image set it to bitmap to clean it up, and all you can really do is sharpen it at this point, or change the mode to RGB and use hue/saturation to colorize it.

• 19. Re: Editing tiff Files

That is probably what happened.  This was a download from the Hardin County, Kentucky, Clerk's Office.  So, I assume that there was no gray scale info ever attached to the image when it was digitized.

However, if that is so, then why does converting it to pdf and then to jpeg (in Adobe Acrobat) add gray scale information?

• 20. Re: Editing tiff Files
                                                Barbara B. CommunityMVP

It really doesn't. It just kind of takes the image out of the standard color spaces and usually softens it so that you may get some grays from the melted edges of the letters. You may be able to get the same kind of blur by saving as a jpeg, but you won't lose the bitmap tag automatically by doing that.

• 21. Re: Editing tiff Files

Thanks Barbara.  Your explanations have explained what is going on and why I was not able to make Light Level adjustments on the original tiff file that was in bitmap mode.