8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2013 3:36 AM by Johnarch2099

Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?

Johnarch2099

I have just installed CS6. And indesign just freezes on start up.

As soon as the indesign screen comes up an error message:

Adobe InDesign CS6 has stopped working correctly.

Windows will close the programme and notify you if a solution is available.

I notice there has been one other similar query, can anybody help please?

• 1. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you running from an adminstrator account?

Do you see anything in the event viewer (under Admisitrative tools in Control Panel) that will give us a clue?

• 2. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?
            Johnarch2099 Level 1

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Peter.

After looking at similar happenings, I went to preferences and selected 'open as administrater' - InDesign opened and worked perfectly.

I am now going to check event viewer.

• 3. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?
              Johnarch2099 Level 1

The only entry in event viewer is this recurring message;

Code Integrity determined that the page hashes of an image file are not valid. The file could be improperly signed without page hashes or corrupt due to unauthorized modification. The invalid hashes could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name:    \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\sxs.dll  

• 4. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?
                Johnarch2099 Level 1

I have just tried to open an old CS3 file and was greeted by the original error message again. I closed the programme (ID6) and then tried to open the application from the start menu. It opened up with the file it couldn't open on the screen! Help.

• 5. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?

OK, ID encountered some sort of problem opening the file and crashed immediately after it was technically open. When you restarted the auto-recovery kicked in and the file opened OK (this is a good thing ). Export this to .idml, then open that and save as .indd with a new file name so you don't overwrite the old version.

Do you use a font manager? This tyle of crash would not be uncommon with a font auto-activation plugin, but that's not the only possibility, and you may never know for sure unless you find something in event viewer that relates specifically to the crash and is actually helpful (not likely on Windows, sigh).

sxs.dll is part of Windows and might be called by ID, but I don't know. Did the entries stop after you got ID to run? That particular error is known to be associated with RealTek High Definition Audio Drivers, it seems, but is probably not limited to that.

To help you see where to look in event viewer, here's a screen cap of the event for a crash in ID from last December: Event viewer.png

You want to look under Windows Logs in the Applications section, and a crash will show as an error with Application Error as the source.

• 6. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?
                    Johnarch2099 Level 1

Hello Peter

I have spent some time on this with a friend, and have partially solved the

issue.

I had the same issue with ID, PS, and Ai, and was solved in the end by

simply going into the preferences and creating the scratch, page, or

recovery file in an alternative drive.

The Adobe applications was creating these files in the highest level of C

Drive, which windows really doesn't like.

Because these temporary files are writing to folders, every time I start

these graphic programmes, the error message asking if it is OK for the

programme to make changes to the system comes up. It's a nuisance, but I

can live with it.

This issue does need some work, particularly as, for example, my C Drive is

a 250Gb flash drive which is not ideal for temp files that are constantly

being written and deleted.

I hope this helps, I'm a technical moron, and cannot give you a step by

step process to follow.

Many thanks for your help.

John

• 7. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?

You can move the scratch disk for Photoshop and Illustrator in their preferences, but not for ID. You CAN move the recovery folder, though, and it sounds like you probably should. That's in the prefs under File Handling.

ID wants to write its temporary scratch files in the Temp folder in your user profile. Several users with solid state drives have encountered problems -- most I think had smaller drives than yours -- and at least one tried unsuccessfully to use a Windows environment variable to specify a new location for the temp folder, but ID apparently ignores this. It is possible, but complex, to move your entire user profile off the C: drive, but it's easier to do it when you are first settng up the machine that it is later. There are directions for using a junction (rather than the environment variable) to relocate the temp folder that might work here at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007965?start=75&tstart=0 (post # 75), and you would use a junction as well if you want to move all of an existing user profile. See http://forums.adobe.com/message/4708433#4708433 for more information.

I would suspect that if ID has crashed a number of times there may be more than one useless temp file, both in the recovery folder and in the temp folder, that could be deleted to free up space if you are running low on free space. Be careful, though about what you delete in the recovery folder if you actually have a file that needs to be recovered on restart and check the date/time before you delete. You'll probably have to set Windows folder options to Show Hidden and System Files and Folders before you can see recovery folder and perhaps even the temp folder.

• 8. Re: Why does indesign CS6 freeze on start up in windows 7?
                        Johnarch2099 Level 1

Thanks Peter

Yes, we did point I'D to a new recovery file on a partition that is used

only to hold passive files, like image files. Space is not a problem.

I am lucky all this happened while setting up a new PC, and I had essential

technical help to hand.

I will forward your post on.

All the best

John