6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 5:33 AM by Martinviol

Individual text on 200 pages

Martinviol

I need to make a document with five individual text boxes on 200 pages (question card for quiz game). Can I somehow make these five text boxes in the master page allowing me to write different text on all 200 pages? I would like to avoid copy-pasting the text box 200 times onto the entire document.

• 1. Re: Individual text on 200 pages
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Yes, you can create five text boxes on the master page. The trick is you should still link them together, so the text 'flows' from one box to another. Then you can simply use "Keep options: Start Paragraph In Next Frame" to have the text jump from one box to another, preferably in the paragraph style for your first line.

Martinviol wrote:

I would like to avoid copy-pasting the text box 200 times onto the entire document.

Use "Place" to import your document into the first text frame. If they are linked together, ID will automatically flow the text from one box to another.

• 2. Re: Individual text on 200 pages
            Martinviol Level 1

Hi.

My purpose is not to link the 5 boxes but to make one textbox that I can put text into on all 200 pages. I am doing a quiz game and I need to but 1000 questions into the 200 pages. Can I make textbox (actually 5 independent ones) on master page so that I will not have to copy paste a textbox onto all 200 pages???

• 3. Re: Individual text on 200 pages
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes -  your best option here is to link them all on the master page.

You create a paragraph style for the first line that appears per frame - call it "Question"

In the Style Options you choose "Keep Options" and choose "Start Paragraph in Next Frame"

You then apply the Paragraph Style "Question" to the first part of each question, this ensures that you Keep your Quesiton starting in a new Frame.

You can then simply paste all your text for all the questions in 1 single click.

The other option is to Override all Frames per spread - then you need to manually type in each question into each frame - as nothing is linked you can't flow from 1 frame to the other - which seems to make the work at least 5 times as long per page.

• 4. Re: Individual text on 200 pages
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Martinviol wrote:

My purpose is not to link the 5 boxes but to make one textbox that I can put text into on all 200 pages. I am doing a quiz game and I need to but 1000 questions into the 200 pages. Can I make textbox (actually 5 independent ones) on master page so that I will not have to copy paste a textbox onto all 200 pages???

Um. Yes, but the *trick* is to link them anyway, even though it's "not your purpose". Did you try my suggestion?

• 5. Re: Individual text on 200 pages
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Linking them would only be useful if the text is being placed from an external file OR if Smart Text Reflow is enabled and not limited primary text frames in the prefs for the document. When set that way, you can override the first frame in the thread, then just type and STR will override frames and add pages as you type (using the keep options, as previously suggested, and proper styles to control when to break to the next frame).

• 6. Re: Individual text on 200 pages
                    Martinviol Level 1

I found the solution. I think I was more challenged in trying to explain my problem than I was in actually solving it:-)

Thanks for the input to all of you.