• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has anyone heard of RoboHelp HTML v10 "magically" deleting itself and all project files?

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an off-site contractor that swears RoboHelp HTML "magically" deleted itself and all project files. I've never heard of this and wondered if anyone else had. It sounds kinda fishy to me, but I've seen some strange things from RH, so thought I'd ask around first.

Thanks-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never heard of Rh as a program deleting itself. Even when you manually delete it, it does not take the project files with it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me neither. I think you need to try and get some more evidence of what is going on and come back if there are still problems. I was wondering if there is a source control application being used with RoboHelp. If something untoward is being done, this could explain project source files being deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all-

No, no source control in play that I know of. It appears we have gotten few answers to questions. The problems began when it was reported that they could not copy the project files to a flash drive. I personally have never had an issue with this task. Then, it was reported that the project had gotten deleted by RH. The resolution after-the-fact is that the contractor spent 1+/- week recreating the project (60-70 topics) from the published content.

I'm surprised that as a contractor they didn't know to come here and ask questions or find tools available to reverse engineer from the published content, but I suppose not everyone knows of the goldmine that lives here. I'd never heard of an uninstall removing project files, but I know there are a million ways it could have been configured and never say never, right?

Thanks for the quick replies - you guys ROCK!

Leah Eaton Vance

Senior Technical Writer

Technical and Business Communication Adjunct Professor, Austin Community College

Austin STC, Past President

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the uninstall deleting project files was with older operating systems that allowed you to work on projects in Program Files. Delete the program and whoosh, the projects went too, so I've heard.

If source control was in play I would want to know which system so that I could avoid it. A source control system that takes the local copies and its own right out would be less useful than a chocolate teapot.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp