2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 12:08 PM by CQ Beginner

changing values in the design_dialog component doesn't reflect in other pages

CQ Beginner

Hi All,

I have created a design_dialog component and I included the component in some pages (browse page, product page,...). Whenever I make changes in the component in the browse page the changes is not reflecting in the other page (product page) i.e. the design dialog component, even though both the pages are sharing the same component. However the changes are available in different product pages like product page A, product page B but not in the browse page.

Is there any way that I can make this component globally across the site, so if I change something in the design dialog component of browse page, the other page which has the same component should gets updated.

Thanks

CQ Beginner

• 1. Re: changing values in the design_dialog component doesn't reflect in other pages
          maruthid Level 1

Hi,

Design dialog changes will be applied to all the pages which are created using the same template. it wont apply if you are dropping the same component on the page which is created from differnet tempalte. That means it is at template level not at the site level.

If you want to maintain some thing at the global level; which should apply to all the pages wherever you dropped this component irrespective of which template it uses you need to do small tweak.

When you author any component through its dialog it stored the data by creating node on the page node --- that means it is applied to that page only

When you author any component through its design dialog then it stores data in etc/designs/<your-site-name>/etct etct --- that mean it applied to all the pages which uses this design

Change the path of the component so that it stores data at global level. then it should apply across your site.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: changing values in the design_dialog component doesn't reflect in other pages
            CQ Beginner Level 1

Hi Maruthi,

Thanks for the reply. My understanding is also the same and your reply confirms it. I am using the same design dialog component in various pages using their own templates, the changes are applied across the pages using the same template but not with the pages using different template.

So this is what I did, I included the design dialog component at one page and the author edit/modify the component only in that page and those data are stored in /etc/design/<<mysite>/... and I am getting the Node and its propery value of that location and displaying it in the other pages (pages using different templates).

So the author can edit the component in only one page and the values get reflected across the site whereever I include the JSP file of the design dialog component.

Thanks