3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 7:00 PM by Stan Jones

H.264 Chapter Markers do not show up in Encore CS6. Is this True?

EdwurdAdam Level 1

I have a 2 and a Half hour timeline in Premiere Pro CS 6 that I am want to Transcode using H.264 instead of MPEG-2 with Chapter Markers.

I want to put about 20 or so chapters on this project while in the Premiere Pro CS 6 Timeline and then bring in into Media Encoder and Tranmscode it.

Then I am going to put it in Encore CS 6 and author the DVD.

I just did some resarch and I was told that if I Transcode it in H.264 my chapter markers will not come over to Media Encoder or Encore.

Is this True?

I want the chapter markers to go with it so I can link them up in Encore without having to make them all again.

I also read that MPEG -2 Chapters will come along for the ride which will make it easier and a little quicker to set up my Blu-Ray DVD in Encore.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: H.264 Chapter Markers do not show up in Encore CS6. Is this True?
          DMH79 Level 2

No, it's not true. I make H.264 Bluray's and MPEG-2 DVD's all the time with tons of chapters that do show up in Encore. Two important things that I learned:

1) You need to give your Encore Chapter Markers a name (even if it's just "1", "2", "3", etc. Something. Without a name, the don't appear in Encore.

2) Keep the .xmp and .xmpses files (which automoatically are generated with the exported video/audio files, in the same folder as the exported audio/video files. I once took them out and away went my chapters in Encore.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: H.264 Chapter Markers do not show up in Encore CS6. Is this True?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

It appears that you are not using ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), to get your PrPro Timeline into Encore. Is that correct?

If it is, I would suggest using ADL to Encore, so that the Encore Chapter Markers do carry over.

If one does a straight Export from PrPro, even to a BD-compliant file, the Encore Markers will not transfer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: H.264 Chapter Markers do not show up in Encore CS6. Is this True?
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

... and author the DVD.

....my Blu-Ray DVD in Encore.

DVD or Bluray? You can't put Bluray on DVD. As the other responses, let's assume Bluray.

In my quick test (CS6), both H264-Bluray and MPEG2-Bluray carry Encore markers from Premiere whether they are named or not. But naming is a good idea for most projects, and there are some formats that do not carry them without naming.

You do not have to dynamic link to get Encore markers from Premiere as long as you pick the right format and follow DMH's advice re sidecar files (xmpses etc).