9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2013 12:42 PM by Waldo X RSS

Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel

Waldo X

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Dreamweaver.  I'm using CS6.  When I upload/put a file and then look at the date modified, it is ahead of my local time by 6 hours.  I am in the same timezone as the remote server (MST).  When I view the file in FileZilla or via SSH, the Last Modified time is correct, so it appears the the file info is correct, but Dreamweaver is reporting it incorrectly for some reason.  In fact, the date/time is even correct in Dreamweaver's File Activity Log!

I've hunted through the settings and have found nothing about timezones. I've googled and googled and googled and not found an answer to this.  I did find this thread which sounds like the same problem, but there has been no solution posted: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4240567

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel
          Waldo X Community Member

I just got a BS answer from Adobe's chat support:

Parth : The time mentioned in Modified area depend upon the time where server is located. Even we do not know about the location and the time can't be changed.

Me: The server is in the same timezone as me (MST)

Me: and as I said, if I login to the server via SSH, it reports the correct time

Me: and other programs report the correct time

Parth : Joe I am talking about our server.

Parth : Not any other server.

Me: your server? how am I using your server?

Parth : I mean Adobe's server.

Me: what does adobe's server have to do with my web site server?

Parth : Joe whenever you upload any website from Dreamweaver to any server, it will show you the time for Dreamweaver's server.

Me: wow, that's really stupid

That can't possibly be true.  I have friends who use Dreamweaver and this is not true for them.  Can anyone please help me out here?  Especially someone from Adobe.

• 2. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel
            MurraySummers CommunityMVP

Are you *SURE* you are in the same timezone as the hosting servers? Sometimes your local hosting company might lease server space from servers in Timbuktu!

• 3. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel

What is your website's IP address?

• 4. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel

This is an interesting question. My site is hosted on servers in TX (CDT). I'm in DE (EDT).

I have just created, saved, and then uploaded a file containing this code:

<?php

echo date("H:i",time()) . "<br><br>";

$file="test-time.php";

if (file_exists($file)) {

echo "$file was last changed: " . date("F d Y H:i:s.", filectime($file));

}

?>

My local file shows 3/29/2013 2:05 PM

My remote file shows 3/29/2013 12:05 PM

When I run the file, I get:

13:11

test-time.php was last changed: March 29 2013 13:05:39

So, it appears that the timestamp of 12:05 is 1 hour earlier than the server time of 13:05!

I'm checking this....

• 5. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel
                  Waldo X Community Member

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I'm sure my server is MST.  It's a server in the NOC of the company I'm working for.  I know exactly where it is in the world.  I also have SSH access so I can confirm the date/time settings on it.

"Fri Mar 29 12:15:54 MDT 2013"

However, I just did a test.  Uploading a new file to a different server of ours, and the date modified was reported correctly.  I tried the same thing on the original server, and it's off by 6 hours, so I guess it is server specific.

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel

None of this negates the incredibly misinformed answer you got from the chat, though!

• 7. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel
                      Nancy O. CommunityMVP

In the past, Daylight Savings threw things off.

In my experience, some hosts don't bother to change the clocks so even when we are in the same time zone, my clocks and theirs don't always agree.

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel

However, we know that's not the case from my reading of the timestamp in the PHP code.

• 9. Re: Date Modified off by 6 hours in Files Panel
                          Waldo X Community Member

MurraySummers wrote:

None of this negates the incredibly misinformed answer you got from the chat, though!

I'm glad you said that.  I was biting my tongue. 

I'm still trying to figure this out, and if I do I'll post the solution in case it helps someone else.  Both of our servers are Debian/Linux running Apache and Pure FTP.  Both have the same local time and timezone settings.  Both report something like this (which is showing the corrrect local time) when I connect:

Response:220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
                          Response:220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
                          Response:220-Local time is now 13:39. Server port: 21.

And like I said in the original post, even Dreamweavers background file activity log shows correct times.  So weird.