Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't install ADE 2.0 in Windows 8

Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully installed ADE 2.0 in Windows 7 but can't do so on my Windows 8 (64 bit) computer. After repeated attempts I always receive the same error message: "Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 has stopped working. A problem caused this program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." The only option from here is to  click the button "Close program." The computer then returns to the Desktop, no solution ever given. The only result from the failed installation is that an ADE 2.0 icon is added to the Desktop. But clicking on this icon gives the same error message as on installation.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added that I'm using an Intel i7 CPU. Also, I have .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.5 installed. I've tried it without both. (The 4.5 is Advanced.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't be necessary, but try running it in various compatability modes.

Right-click on the install exe file in Explorer, choose Properties, and look in the Compatibility tab.

Choose a compatibility such as Windows 7, or try the compatibility troubleshooter.

Also, try temporarily disabling firewall or anti-virus. (again should not be necessary)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I tired this by running the Compatibility Troubleshooter, as you suggested. I ran it in Windows 7 mode. But the problem occurred just as before. I upgraded this HP TouchSmart from Windows 7. I'm afraid I may have a bug in the upgrade. I'm going to call HP and make sure my system is running OK. -- Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try the earlier ADE 1.7.2, which is more reliable than ADE2.0 in various ways.

Just as good for most purposes: though it lacks screen reader compatibility and multiple signon for different vendors.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this suggestion too. But I've figured out and solved my very strang problem.

I'm visually impaired and use the Magnifier in Window's Ease of Access. Certain incompatibilities have often confronted me in Windows 7 in connection with MS Magnifier, particularly when using Aero visualization features. I had hoped these problems would have been resolved in Windows 8. But this is not the case. I still don't know exactly where my problem resides but it is somewhere within the triangle of my HP TouchSmart 610 PC (and its graphic card), the nVidia driver (for which I have the latest version) and the MS Magnifier in Windows 8. Rather surprisingly, I cannot load ADE 2.0 when my MS Magnifier is running in the Docked mode but I can install it (and have now done so) when the Magnifier is in the Lens mode. Likewise, I find other problems that have been hautnting my computer are now resolved in light of this same circumstance. For instance, the HP Support Assistant often stops working when the Magnifier is in Docked mode but it has never done so when the Magnifier is in Lens mode. So it now seems a video conflict in my computer was responsible for my inability of installing Adobe Digital Editions. Once this problem was dealt with, the installation of ADE 2.0 on Windows 8 was smooth as silk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow.   Good luck with it.

It may be worth considering an alternative magifier.  See for example

http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsightloss/computersphones/pc/accessibility/assistive/Pages/free_win...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines