15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2013 10:46 AM by muppi3 RSS

Accessible pdf's with CS 3?

muppi3

Hi - I've started work on a document in CS 3 and when I get to the point of exporting the doc to a pdf I can't find a selection  to choose "accessible pdf," the way the Adobe TV instruction shows when one is in CS 4. Is it even possible to make an accessible pdf using CS 3?

Then I downloaded a trial version of CS 6 and that did not open my document (that I'd worked so hard on) correctly.

Would appreciate any help or tips very much!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
          P Spier CommunityMVP

I doubt you'll have much luck in CS3.  Try exporting the file from CS3 as .inx, though, then open that in CS6. It may do better.

Whatever you do, though, don't save over the old file with a new one from CS6.

• 2. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
            muppi3 Community Member

Ah thank you so much!! I saw where you had advised that to someone for a

similar question, but not knowing what an .inx file is...

• 3. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
              P Spier CommunityMVP

File > Export... from the type dropdown in the dialog choose Indesign Interchange (.inx).

• 4. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                muppi3 Community Member

Thanks ever so much for this, and for getting back to me so quickly!!!

• 5. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                  P Spier CommunityMVP

Did it work?

• 6. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                    muppi3 Community Member

I tried it just now, but there is no .inx as an option in the dropdown

of cs 3 when I go to export it. There are all sorts of other options,

like IDML, InDesign snippet, and XML-  but not .inx. Do you know where

can I find the .inx?

• 7. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                      muppi3 Community Member

Actually, I meant there is no dropdown in CS 6 - I've got the trial CS 6

open, and not cs3.

• 8. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                        P Spier CommunityMVP

You must do the export to .inx from the original CS3 file, and from CS3....

• 9. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                          muppi3 Community Member

Ah - can I disable my trial version for the moment while I try to use CS

3 again - I don't want to loose the trial version for now. I'm doing

this experiment to see if I can accomplish a doc as an accessible pdf

before I can ask the department to purchase CS 6 for me.

• 10. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                            P Spier CommunityMVP

You can run both simultaneously, but if you've uninstalled CS3 already, reinstalling it after CS6 may change some common files and cause problems in the trial. If you have uninstalled CS3, I can do the export to .inx for you if you send me the file. Click my name to go to my profile, then send me a private message with a link to the file, or I'll send you an upload link if you need it, but I'm on my way out the door for a few hours, so I can't do it right away.

• 11. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                              muppi3 Community Member

I have not uninstalled CS 3 yet, luckily. I tried the transition once a

moment ago, and after opening the .inx doc in CS 6 I could see it had

moved my header and footer askew. So now I'm currently editing the

original CS3 doc one last time in CS 3 before exporting it again.

I'm off tomorrow but hope to continue on Monday - if I may ask you any

questions again if I encounter any more road blocks.

Thanks, Peter!

• 12. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                                P Spier CommunityMVP

We're here to help.

You will encounter changes in the text flow when you openthe file in CS6. The text engine has had some changes since CS3.

• 13. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                                  muppi3 Community Member

Don't know if you're available today, Peter, but one issue I'm having

even still in CS 3 is tagging my header and footer. I thought I'd given

them a paragraph style in the A-master (since I can't do it on the doc

itself ). (There is no "master applied." - I didn't think I needed to do

that since it is just a single-sided document.) But it doesn't seem to

be "talking" (connecting) to the structure or tags panels. It's as if

the header and footer don't exist in the document, even though I see the

labels in the paragraph styles panel. If I'm making any sense, please

advise.

• 14. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                                    P Spier CommunityMVP

I'm a bit lost. Are the header and footer visible in ID on the document page? If not, and they are on a master page that will never be used, I'd delete the master (or the headers and footers from the master if you're down tothe point where ID won't let you delte the whole thing), then select all unused styles from the paragraph styles panel menu and delete those too.

Accessible PDF is not something I'm really familiar with, so you're getting out of my comfort zone, but there are other users here who do know about them, so don't be afraid to raise more questions if you have them.

• 15. Re: Accessible pdf's with CS 3?
                                      muppi3 Community Member

Your .inx transition suggestion worked so smoothly after I'd edited the

doc in CS 3 properly. Perfect!! I'm very happy!

Thanks so much!

No worries, I figured out the rest of the issues to make an accessible

pdf. I just have one little question I'll throw out there still.