6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 6:52 AM by geojf3 RSS

How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro

geojf3 Community Member

Hello,

I am new to creating fillable pdf forms, so please bear with me if I am not in the right area.

Currently our site has a page that our users enter data into and that data is sent to a database for further processing.

I see how to create the fillable pdf form itself and how to have it made available on the site.  What I cannot see is one the fillable pdf form is filled, how can I extract the data and put it into a database such as SQL?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro
          Test Screen Name MVP

Typically, the form has a submit button. This works in the same way as a submit button on a web page.

That is, there is a script on a web server (CGI, ASP, PHP, many other possibilities). The script has a URL. The form connects to the URL and sends the form information. Then the script does whatever the programmer wants. Putting it in a database is a frequent activity.

If I understand right, you already have this process and want to apply it to a new form. You may need a programmer's assistance to work out what happens on the server, or you may just be able to recycle the submit action from the existing form. Examine the existing form very carefully, the field names will be vital, and there may be essential JavaScripts.

Note too that there are two kinds of PDF form - those made in Acrobat, and those made in LiveCycle Designer.

• 2. Re: How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro
            geojf3 Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

We use ASP and I wrote the ASP scripts for the current processing. 

What I am having a hard time seeing is how to extract the data.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro
              Test Screen Name MVP

Ok, I've gone off at completely the wrong tangent.

So, you have an ASP? Does this work with other forms or are you looking to make it work? What input does it expect?

• 4. Re: How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro
                geojf3 Community Member

Yes, we have ASP up and running on a Micorsoft IIS server.  The "form" that is being filled out is an ASP that is coded to resemble the existing paper form, and once it is filled it is edited/verfied and either the data is sent to a SQL database or if errors exist it is returned to the user for correction. Since the pages are on the secure portion of our site, I cannot send you a link to see the existing pages.

The input expects text, numbers and dates.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro
                  Test Screen Name MVP

You need an ASP which is designed as the back-end, to accept submitted form data. Then the PDF becomes the front end, with a submit button action giving the URL of the web page. If you have coded your ASP as if it were an HTML form this severely limits what you can do in the PDF, and must choose HTML format for the submit.

I'd have to ask, if you have a working HTML (ASP) based solution, what you hope to gain by going PDF? There are so many things that could go wrong - like viewing in FireFox.

• 6. Re: How to extract data from Adobe Acrobat X Pro
                    geojf3 Community Member

The only thing we were trying to do is to give our users a form that would be identicle to the paper form, instead of a programically created page.

I do see your point.